Hole in one, your clubs rules.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

I was wondering if your clubs have any set rules or guidelines in place regarding the buying of drinks after a hole in one?

My club has a decanter on a stand, on the bar, with a small plaque for each person who's had an ace and you simply buy a bottle of whisky to fill it up.

People can then have a drink on you over the next few days.

I think this is better as it means you aren't paying a fortune if the bar is full, and others don't miss out if the bar is empty.

It's also a nice reminder seeing your name on the side of the decanters stand.

Not that I've ever troubled the bar staff to fill the decanter, however!!

Red_Eyes

Medal Winner
Visit site
At my club we pay £2.50 per year and the bar bill for a hole in one is covered.

First time I have heard of hole in one insurance. Its a wonder Direct Line haven't picked up on it.

I dont think I will need it yet unless it counts on the wrong green.

DCB

Visit site
We do something similar, a tray at the end of the bar, a bottle of whisky and some glasses along with a note of who, where & when. A very civilised way of celebrating it.

Had to do it twice so far!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had to do it twice so far!

You had to get that in. Don't you just hate a show off :D :D

I have no idea what they do at my current club. At my old club you just took a cup out of the trophy cabinet and bought a bottle of whiskey to fill it

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's covered in my golf insurance - up to £300 just send them the card and bar bill....

I feel it's actually up to the hole in oner but tradition would have it you should buy the whole bar a drink (so don't do it on Club Championship Day!!)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have a £100 float as part of the membership fee. As long as you are in the bar, then the tab runs up to £100, when you can stop it if you want, or you can let it run, and pick up the overspend.
Three times for me (if we are into measuring appendages).

DCB

Visit site
Stuart,

2nd time it happened I was convinced my ball had gone through the green and was in trouble off the back. One of my partners casually said, "have you checked the hole" to which I replied in a rather ungentlemanly fashion. Seconds later they said here it is, I really thought they were taking the p.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have only seen one in my time.

After trying a friends swilken alta 1 iron I had bought one myself and was really struggling with hitting big hooks.
After hitting a huge hook at the downhill par 4 9th at Cupar and moaning about the club, my dad took it out my hand and hit one straight down the middle onto the green and into the hole. He rather nonchalantly handed the club back saying “nothing wrong with it” with a big smug grin on his face.

To this day I still want to punch that face.

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
at my club (and this is quite common) they I’ve you a bottle of whisky, which sits on the bar for other members to help themselves.

You then replace the whisky (i.e. buy it a the supermarket)

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Similar to most of you,at my place you normally buy a bottle and fill up a decanter they keep behind the bar.

Love the idea about a little plaque that sounds great.

I had one in Dorset this Jan and got a little certificate,nothing special but it is now framed and on my desk at home.

On the insurance thing I have it but during the period I got my 2 I had excluded hole in one's DOH!!!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Forgot to say,I also was partly responsible for my name not going on the hole in one honours board.

When I first sat on comittee we had not long opened and the board was filling up alarmingly so I proposed that only competitions should count for the board,double DOH!!

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We dont have to buy drinks but we'd be the talk of the course if we didn't. I like the idea of the decanter. Last year I had my hole in one and it cost me £89, there where people there that didnt drink but took one anyway. lol.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have only ever seen one and that was a chap you may know called Paul Casey at the 2006 Ryder Cup well if i dont see one again i wont mind just been able to say i was there.

Class!!!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club put a litre bottle and glasses out on the bar and we're simply asked to replace it for their stock. The cost of my hole-in-one. One bottle of Grouse from the off licence. Good Scottish frugality for you. No plaques or such, though. :(

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I think this rule is stupid. Everyone in the bar should buy the hole in oner a drink. Whats it got to do with anyone?!
You wouldnt get [****] all off me if I got a hole in one at your club. Not a sniff.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think this rule is stupid. Everyone in the bar should buy the hole in oner a drink. Whats it got to do with anyone?!
You wouldnt get [****] all off me if I got a hole in one at your club. Not a sniff.

Well, each to there own Benny!

I doubt with that point of view you'd be welcome at most clubs anyway, but hey, if this is the kind of attitude that used to make you so popular on these boards maybe I'm wrong!

PS - if it has nothing to do with other people why should they buy the hole-in-oner a drink?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I gotta half agree with benny, Why should you buy everyone a drink, shouldn't it be the other way around?

But hey, sticking with the tradition, if i was lucky enough to hole out in one, It would be the best bar bill I ever settled!

Think its great that most insurance companys now offer Hole in one cover!