Hitting the wrong ball

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi guys,

Me and mate were having a round, as none of us are too clued up on the rules we didnt know what to do when this happened;

My mate tee'd off and his ball landed on the fairway but rolled towards the rough, as which point we lost sight.

I Tee'd off and as i out drove him we both proceeded to the point at which his ball rolled off the fairway.

Straight away i spotted the ball and asked what he was playing with, to which he replied 'dunlop' , and sure enough the ball was a dunlop loco so i pointed it out to him and he hit his shot.

On the green, once he holed out and picked the ball out the cup he realised his wasnt a loco but a plain dunlop ball.

Would he go back and find his ball?

cheers

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

cheers

depends a little on the format of the game you were playing

if it was a match then he has already lost the hole - so there's no point going back

if it was stableford then he has a 2 shot penalty to add to his score with the right ball - so this again may mean he is going to blob and it's not worth going back

if it's medal, he has to go back and find the ball, add a 2 shot penalty to the score he ends up with with his original ball. the shot (s) he played with the wrong ball don't count. if he can't find his original ball he has to go back to the tee and is playing 5 from there.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi guys,

Me and mate were having a round, as none of us are too clued up on the rules we didnt know what to do when this happened;

My mate tee'd off and his ball landed on the fairway but rolled towards the rough, as which point we lost sight.

I Tee'd off and as i out drove him we both proceeded to the point at which his ball rolled off the fairway.

Straight away i spotted the ball and asked what he was playing with, to which he replied 'dunlop' , and sure enough the ball was a dunlop loco so i pointed it out to him and he hit his shot.

On the green, once he holed out and picked the ball out the cup he realised his wasnt a loco but a plain dunlop ball.

cheers

In matchplay it's loss of hole.

Strokeplay it's 2 penalty strokes added, but shots taken with wrong ball don't count.
If he wants to go back and play the correct ball, He should call the group behind through.

Hint - indelible felt tip markings on both sides of ball always a good idea