Hitting the toe with irons

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all

I'm having a real problem with irons at the minute....I'm hitting the toe nearly every time and it's killing my distance big time.

It's at the point where I'm missing the grooves of the club and hitting the little bit just after them.

It's getting me extremely frustrated and sapping any sort of love I have for the game, and I'm getting near the point of wanting to give up playing!

The shot shape is generally a weak high draw of that helps at all?

I appreciate a video of my swing would help....but as of yet I don't have one.

I don't have this problem with my driver, just irons and hybrids.

Cheers
A. Frustrated golfer

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I suggest you take a picture/video of your address position from down the line (like below) and compare it with someone on youtube who is a similar height to yourself

Photo0wt4.jpg

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Evening all

I'm having a real problem with irons at the minute....I'm hitting the toe nearly every time and it's killing my distance big time.

It's at the point where I'm missing the grooves of the club and hitting the little bit just after them.

It's getting me extremely frustrated and sapping any sort of love I have for the game, and I'm getting near the point of wanting to give up playing!

The shot shape is generally a weak high draw of that helps at all?

I appreciate a video of my swing would help....but as of yet I don't have one.

I don't have this problem with my driver, just irons and hybrids.

Cheers
A. Frustrated golfer

Difficult to tell without a video or picture of your address position. But IMO you need to do one of 2 things, either set up closer to the ball, or set up with the ball slightly in the heal of the club.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Went to the range this morning. Tried to get some footage but due to the lighting my camera wouldn't really focus so it was blurred.

But what I did notice, I seem to do a weird movement at impact.

At impact I stand up and pull the arms towards my body, thus the club moves towards me and presents the toe to the ball.

Does this sort of thing sound about right?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you ever work on strike?

Get some footspray or impact tape, then split your club head into segments. Try and hit every segment on demand.

After a session you should be able to hit every part of the club head with the same swing

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Get some footspray or impact tape, then split your club head into segments. Try and hit every segment on demand.

After a session you should be able to hit every part of the club head with the same swing

And therein lies the tricky bit. ;)

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Might this a try

But I am in no way exaggerating when I say I'm hitting all my irons straight from the toe....so at the minute I don't need spray to tell me this :(

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert...but have suffered with iron toe strikes a few times. It's usually when I've been playing well and it just creeps in. Never really identified why BUT last time I used my Zepp analyser and could see I was exiting from impact too far left way too early and hands too low on the follow through. I just focussed on keeping the club face pointing at the target through the ball and that worked. Not a technical solution but sometimes just trying to feel something different works!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert...but have suffered with iron toe strikes a few times. It's usually when I've been playing well and it just creeps in. Never really identified why BUT last time I used my Zepp analyser and could see I was exiting from impact too far left way too early and hands too low on the follow through. I just focussed on keeping the club face pointing at the target through the ball and that worked. Not a technical solution but sometimes just trying to feel something different works!

Cheers Amanda.

I'll give that a try, it's a nice simple swing thought to have that, focusing on keeping the clubface at the target

I have a million and one swing thoughts at the minute due to these toe strokes believe me!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Amanda.

I'll give that a try, it's a nice simple swing thought to have that, focusing on keeping the clubface at the target

I have a million and one swing thoughts at the minute due to these toe strokes believe me!

I hear you! I was amazed how much the Zepp showed where my club was going after impact and how huge a difference it made with just one thought/change. Good luck.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You think it could be related to your pre swing routine move?
You seem to pull the club very low and left when doing it, from an observers view it looks like an unnatural completion of your swing path.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You think it could be related to your pre swing routine move?
You seem to pull the club very low and left when doing it, from an observers view it looks like an unnatural completion of your swing path.

The problem seems to be the milliseconds before impact....I'll be booking another lesson next month hopefully get it ironed out.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had plenty....still doing it

During the lesson I get back to a middle strike, but it just creeps back in.

it will usually be the same thing creeping back in. cant your pro tell you what to look out for so you know how to fix.?

lots of reasons why you toe strike, even with a in to out swing. open club face at impact, high hands at impact caused by early extension and early release are a few.
more to the point your pro should be educating you as why it happens so you can self fix without booking in another £50 session

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
would consider revisiting the advice from a while back

staying in posture in the takeback to the top and down to impact feeling the butt stays back and doesn't move off of that imaginary line it is in set-up

plus the need to stay in control of the balance through the entire swing motion - to that standing on an alignment stick that runs through the middle of the feet & making some 50% swings through a ball both with posture & balance in mind to be able to move through to a full balanced position that can be 'stuck' for say 3 or 4 seconds

once a few good results with strike contact, posture and balance been achieved at 50% take the stick away but maintain the 'feel' of the motion & up the swing to 60% till can hit 4 or 5 good strikes from center - then 70% repeat - 80% repeat
anytime the strike goes off drop back down the percentage to achieve the goal then move up again

start off say with 8i then repeat with 6i then move up the bag to whatever metals or driver with the same deal
take a can of footspray to check contacts

often times folks swinging leftfield through impact while standing up some around impact but also can be coming from inside a ways too much with a stand up into impact & the hands and handle being a ways too high so shaft bunch more vertical so clubhead is heel up toe down some

primary cause of this often times is just trying to give the ball a ways too much of a crack so posture & balance goes

Last edited: