Hitting the draw and ball still goes straight??

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeh, what happens is the clubface doesn't actually come into the ball square to the target at all, it comes in maybe 10° more open than he THINKS it does and subsequently starts the ball more to the right. You can SEE where the ball starts on his video... that is pretty much where the clubface is actually pointing at impact. :thup:

Poulter has a similar video to both Donald's and Rose's

Right I can understand that. What causes his clubface to open then is it the fact that he swinging along a closed stance that somehow causes it or is it something else. Need to know for sure so I can work on it myself as a draw has always been a problem shot for me. I always play a draw like Rose says in the vid I mentioned and have all kinds of results some go straight some go left and some go as planned just like Roses do in the vid some of the bad ones will also be down to my limited ability(15 HCP)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right I can understand that. What causes his clubface to open then is it the fact that he swinging along a closed stance that somehow causes it or is it something else. Need to know for sure so I can work on it myself as a draw has always been a problem shot for me. I always play a draw like Rose says in the vid I mentioned and have all kinds of results some go straight some go left and some go as planned just like Roses do in the vid some of the bad ones will also be down to my limited ability(15 HCP)

It's just feel. He has practiced so many times his brain knows subconciously where the clubface needs to be at impact.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
and I think they actually play it slightly further back in their stance so the clubface hasn't 'squared up' to the target and is actually facing right at impact, so it starts right of target then draws back.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's just feel. He has practiced so many times his brain knows subconciously where the clubface needs to be at impact.

Obviously but it still seems a strange way to work to me. So the correct way to play a Draw under new law is to align clubface right of target and align Feet,Hips,Shoulders further Right. Is this the correct way:thup: or am I talking rubbish:eek: It's practice day tomorrow so need to know what is the correct method

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

With your irons if you copy what they say to the letter but have the clubface pointed at the right edge of the green it should potentially improve your ball flight both in trajectory and soften your bad shots (higher flight and less hooky). It's still not the 'correct' way but it's definitely not as bad as the way they are teaching it.

^
^
Interestingly you should be able to hit your driver perfectly from this position I describe above IF you are hitting UP on it, just don't stand tooooooo closed to the target... maybe 5° at most and aim for the right half of the fairway with the clubface. :thup:

The reason the clubface opens in their case is because a) they move their weight forward which means the club doesn't have time to square b) they often move the ball back a little to encourage an in-to-out swing and subsequently the ball being back means again the clubface doesn't have time to square c) being closed (aimed right) with the ball back often takes the hands deeper on the backswing encouraging an in-to-out swingpath at impact. d) they have their hands FORWARDS at impact which encourages the clubface to have less loft but be more open (pointed right).. less loft is why the ball goes further with a draw :thup:

Last edited: