hitting the ball lower.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok… so at the weekend I played in what can only be described as the worst gusting wind I have ever played in. Its become apparent I need to learn how to manage the ball better in the wind.

A prime example was our 18th, a dogleg left that is on the side of a hill. Bends at about 200 Yards. I hit a 3wood down the right hand side of the fairway yet as soon as the ball got above the tree-line and hit the crosswind it ended up about 30 foot past OBB on the left hand side. The ball must have moved around 50 meters from its line.

Is there any tips on trying to keep the ball lower?

I read bobs post about knock down shots with irons, which im off to the range tonight to experiment with, but the main struggle is off the tee. I generally hit a pretty high ball anyway, so just needs tips on keeping the ball lower with driver/3w/5w.

Thanks in advance chaps.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
tee the ball lower and move back in your stance and again swing easy. Or depending on where its coming from ride the ball in on the wind. Its been breezy here the last week and you just have to except a loss of distance into the wind.I find a low hook works well as long as the fairway is wide enough

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
cheers patrick. I used to play alot of shots off the back foot as a kid but this was more due to swing faults.

Im finding at the moment the ball is getting to peek flight and then just getting taken with the wind. A head or tail wind doesnt really bother me, its when the wind is from the side that things get interesting... it could go anywhere.

Interestingly i played with a scottsman on sunday (dont worry i washed my hands after ;) ) .... anyway, he must have been brought up playing links golf, he could misile a ball through the wind at 30ft high with no effect from teh wind with very accurate distances. I know this is no doubt something that comes with age and experience, but i played better on sunday than i did on friday, friday i was 11 over gross, (2 better than hc Par 71(Shot net 69) sunday i putted better and struck the ball better and come in about 11 over hc so around 90 gross/net 79 on a par 68. i never every thought wind would effect my golf in that way,

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
had the same on Sunday Oddsocks, hit a tee shot, caught the wind and ended up further right than forward on the previous fairway.

My best tee shots were the miss hit ones that stayed low and bounced for ever on the solid fairways :)