Hitting down on the ball with driver

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone give me advice or drills to help me hit up on the driver, iwas on a launch monitor earlier today (passing time) and the guy said i was hitting down on it. he said it was spinning to much losing distance and speed.
Anyone any ideas/

algar5

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Steve,

I had a lesson last week as I was having similar driver issues. Found out that at address my ball position was way too far back nearer middle. I am know striking it way better height and distance and ball position is level with left foot. Feels way too far forward but it's working and feels less and less awkward with every game/practice session.

Hope this helps.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Get it forward in your stance to AT LEAST your left heal/instep or even left toe. Tee it up a little higher and keep your head behind the ball at impact

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i was suffering from the same problem, i think i found the cure over the weekend....

position the ball inline with your front foot, have a nice wide stance, the wider the better

and make sure you far enough away from the ball to

bascially set your self up to create a big swing arc

edit - what bob said

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
i think i found the cure over the weekend....

position the ball inline with your front foot, have a nice wide stance, the wider the better

and make sure you far enough away from the ball to

bascially set your self up to create a big swing arc

be careful as too wide a stance prohibits a proper turn, and standing too far away creates stretching/very flat plane

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i agree, don't over do it

though i think a lot of people are too far the other way inclined, sounds like the OP might be that way to

i think it will feel like quite a big change

a wider stance makes a good base and i think a rounder swing arc is preffered for the driver

Last edited:

alnecosse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Steve i was having same problem went up to range with my dad, he told me set up feet together ball just inside left heel step away to make stance with right foot this put bottom o swing behind the ball and now hitting it on the up had to tee up tad higher but definately driving straighter n longer he told me to keep it simple and back to basics worked for me