Hitting across the ball

redmike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Morning all,

Ive developed a problem of hitting across the ball, which results in slices with my woods and severe hooks with my irons. Ive had a couple of lessons with my pro but i just cant seem to get it right.

Any hints/tips or drills that might help me?

cheers!

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
on the range i hit balls in between 2 pieces of cane about 4 inches apart,try and mirror the first bit of your take away with the follow through making both the same could neutralise cutting across the ball

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd be surprised if you are really hitting both slices and hooks, more likely slices and PULL hooks.
Both come from the same swing path. I had this last Wednesday.
Go to the range/practice ground and lay a club along the line of your feet straight at the target and another outside the ball aimed at 1 o'clock (instead of directly at the target = 12 o'clock).
Swing two or three reps down along the line of the outer club/cane/length of whatever, then hit the ball trying to emulate the same feeling. Never fails......
Alternatively, stand square at the range and try to hit balls way right (at another target, like a tree of flag).
Once you get the feeling of "pushing" the ball, you can expect to see the cut spin diminish, maybe disappear altogether for a few rounds.

Prubs

Club Champion
Visit site
Try this.... put a ball down and then another one down at 12 oclock of the first one....address the outer ball but hit the inner ball(there should be about and inch between both balls) hope this helps

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think this is what andyritchi is talking about... The answer to your prayers

I did this for 20 mins with my mid irons. Eventually my swing plane was back on track and My driving was straighter!

Nice......that should do it, but beware the one that goes wrong....balls all over the place. I tried a similar drill the other day at the range and the bloke in the bay next to me ended up getting extra free balls (as mine dived under the dividing wall). I thought he might roll them back (as I do) but he wasn't feeling charitable.....git!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
hahaa :D

There was a guy in the bay next to me the other day and he was slicing everythin and moaning to him self. So much so he started to annoy me. I finally stopped what I was doing and decided to watch what he was doing wrong. EVERYTHINg but it was mostly his out to in. Asked him if he wanted a drill to help him out but he ran out of balls. Brought him into my bay and shown him the 3 ball drill. Let him have a go using my balls and he was swinging nicely through the gap to start with. But a ball in the middle for him and he managed to send all 3 down the range at once. I swear one had a hint of draw though lol.

He assured me he would work on this next time he was at the range, so I keep looking out for him!