Hip slide to start the downswing prt 2

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Following on from Montys' post the other day regarding a hip slide initiating the downswing. I think I've gone and opened another can of worms.

I managed to dig out the copy of GM the other night with the Hunter Mahan article with his swing tips. One section of this caught my eye. The section was on how he starts his downswing.

Here's the picture from the article:

IMG-20111019-00475.jpg

And here's the text (Best I could get taken on a camera phone)

IMG-20111019-00474.jpg

I'd be interested to hear any opinions on this!

You may have to slide the curser over at the bottom of the the pic's to see the right hand side of the picture.

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
as DaveM says, it depends what works for each golfer, some is a hip slide, others its the knee and some its a weight shift from the foot (all left side of course)

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i think these sort of articles can be easily misinterpretted by us amatuers

i would read that as making quite a pronounced forward movement

though if you look at mahans swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpODfPbAyQ

there only seems to be a slight transfer of weight and push forward with the lower half only

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice one TC the static mag picture. Does not look anything like the vidio. The vid looks more like a normal weight transfer and turn. Where as the mag picture looks like a big slide across.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think these sort of articles can be easily misinterpretted by us amatuers

i would read that as making quite a pronounced forward movement

though if you look at mahans swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpODfPbAyQ

there only seems to be a slight transfer of weight and push forward with the lower half only

This is my point.

In the write up he says:

"Shifting left until my chest and belt buckle are slightly ahead of the ball"

Surely if the chest is ahead of the ball, his head will be also.... Unless he ha a neck like a Giraffe

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
he has a ginger tinge so anything is possible, no offence to those of a red headed affliction btw

on a serious note, when you look at a lot of pro's finishing position they look contorted to hell, no way we could honestly replicate them

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just had a look again at the video.

If you freeze the video at the top of the back swing half way down (10seconds approx and as pictured above)

His chest and belt buckle are infront of the ball as he says.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As he comes into impact his head is staying back and his hips have pushed forward and rotated, this points his sternum well ahead of the ball. As the lowpoint of the swing arc is in line with the sternum this move means he is striking downward at the ball at impact and his swing arc bottoms out around two feet infront of the ball. This is a classic impact position.

Last edited: