Hillside

evemccc

Visit site
I’m due to play Hillside soon and have been watching a few YouTube flyover videos and course vlogs in recent days

I’m obviously looking forward to it, and sure it will be as excellent as everyone says it is…however a couple of recent vlogs have spoken of the dramatic changes made in the last couple of years to the course

In particular I’m a bit surprised to see the seemingly modern trend of having blown out bunkers and ‘ waste areas’ on a historic links course, also like at Princes

Personally I’m not particularly a fan of this, and having seen photos of the recent work at Ganton, I think I preferred it as it was before when I played it

Opinions on this style of course renovation…It seems to be very fashionable/faddy to me

Edit: the front 9 at Aberdeen is every bit as good as is claimed, so v hopeful of the back 9 at Hillside being as good as everyone says

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a member at Hillside so you can ask away anything you want to know.

The changes made have made a massive improvement to our underrated front 9, the 4th (first par 3) is a completely different looking and playing hole. I am not going to list them off but its countless and its more for the better. As with any changes it takes time to bed in we have had 3 years of winter work so now its time for the course to settle and grow properly. It will only look better as time goes on and it matures. The main thing for me as a member out of all the work is the move back to natural tees and walkways. Gone are 95% of our horrid looking gravel buggy paths into grass paths that merge into new complex split level tees. Make the world of difference.

This being my point for #4

FJpH-AjXoAIe4qu

Last edited:

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The changes made have made a massive improvement to our underrated front 9, the 4th (first par 3) is a completely different looking and playing hole. I am not going to list them off but its countless and its more for the better. As with any changes it takes time to bed in we have had 3 years of winter work so now its time for the course to settle and grow properly. It will only look better as time goes on and it matures. The main thing for me as a member out of all the work is the move back to natural tees and walkways. Gone are 95% of our horrid looking gravel buggy paths into grass paths that merge into new complex split level tees. Make the world of difference.

Wow those changes to hole 4 look amazing.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

FJpH-AjXoAIe4qu

I have played Hillside a good few times and the 4th certainly is a big improvement

evemccc

Visit site
Looks great guys. So close to home for me too (I’m in Liverpool, play at North Wales).

@evemccc hope you enjoy your game there. Are you staying up here long?

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Still not sure of my trip plans, it depends on if my girlfriend is travelling also…she’s still undecided (?) so I can’t make plans!

evemccc

Visit site

FJpH-AjXoAIe4qu

The below photo looks stunning!

Glad to hear the changes have been generally very positive and the members can see a big improvement in the course ??

I agree…purely from an aesthetic point of view I am not a fan of gravel buggy paths at all

P.S any secret course hints/tips for @IanM and me, for our 4BBB comp next weekend?!

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The below photo looks stunning!

Glad to hear the changes have been generally very positive and the members can see a big improvement in the course ??

I agree…purely from an aesthetic point of view I am not a fan of gravel buggy paths at all

P.S any secret course hints/tips for @IanM and me, for our 4BBB comp next weekend?!
It’s a driving golf course. You have to be in play off the tee or your dead. It’s too early for the rough to be properly up but it’s getting there.

Like most links it’s all in front of you a miss short isn’t as bad as a miss long into the long deep stuff.

Hope you enjoy your round it’s in great nick atm.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Fave course up here.
Last time I played they had only just completed the big mound up the right of the first.
Best back nine you will see anywhere imo.

Looking forward to the seniors in September.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ave mentioned this before, four lads from our place inc our head greenkeeper went up to the north west. They played Birkdale, Hillside ( head green keepers dad is a member at Hillside) and an other. Of all the courses they played. They raved about Hillside.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can only comment from a spectator point of view when we went to the British Masters but what an amazing looking course. We sat at the 16th and 17th. Absolutely amazing.

The course would be far too difficult for me but would a go.

D

Deleted member 21445

I played it in March for the 1st time in over 20 years.

Thought the changes were great to be honest, you will have a great day if you get the weather we did ?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good mate of mine is a member and ive been lucky to have played it a number of times recently. Before and after the recent changes.

It looks class now. They have done a superb job tbh.

evemccc

Visit site
Enjoyed my round at Hillside, it’s clearly a very good course and in good condition

Things I especially liked:

1) It feels v secluded and away from the world, you can forget about the outside world and it’s noise and troubles whilst there…which is very pleasant

2) Great par 3s I felt….I didn’t play them at all well, but the 4th and 10th were superb holes

3) The 11th and 17th were also great

4) A fair amount of elevation change for a links course - which I like a lot. Both in terms of a high tee-box, with the course all laid out in front of you, and also a few approach shots were to quite high raised greens - again I really like this aspect

It’s not a negative - as it’s a case of ‘what you like’ but although it probably would be considered a very fair links, I realised after playing Hillside that I like my links courses to have more undulating fairways ideally

Friendly starter there and pro shop staff, and seemed a nice club to be a member of…if I should be so lucky ??