Higher handicap fitting

Eric84

Visit site
Hi all,

I have only been back playing for a year after a 10 year break. My old handicap fluctuated between 15-18. Currently 24.

In that 10 years I have had a few injuries from downhill mtb racing and motorbike accidents, I don’t have full range of motion in my left wrist and suffer with a bad back so my head speed for a 7 iron is down from about 92 to 83-85 ish anything more than that and I start to have pain.

As I’m enjoying it more and more i am treating my self to some new irons currently playing Aerojet one length.

I have had a couple of fittings recently it’s between 3 irons i530, t200 and mizuno 245.

Can’t seem to make a game improvement iron work, they all seem to go high, 130 feet ish and all fade, I know my swing isn’t perfect I just can’t seem to close the face on any gi iron.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue, happy to spend the money on new irons I just don’t want to buy wrong.

Specs are dg mid 115 stiff and 2deg up.

Will have more lessons once I get new irons.

I have put the data in from a fitting recently.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_5427.png
    IMG_5427.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 36

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t know if most of the figures are good or not but the one that I do know is distance. And for a 7 iron, yours look decent to me

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From my perspective.......what are you waiting for :ROFLMAO:
Assuming the dispersion is OK I'd be extracting the credit card.....
Note to self....might have to look at the i530s......;)

Eric84

Visit site
Dispersion is ok, most would be in the fairway. I suppose I had it my head I would be playing more of a gi iron like the 430. Did test those but they had a fade and went too high and I couldn’t feel the ball on a bad shot.

My attack angle worries me a bit as I’m sure it should be in the negative, although no fitter ever mentioned it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Youve got a dodgy wrist and a bad back, yet you can still punt the ball out there the best part of 170yds with a 7 iron swung at 85mph....yet you play off 24? It aint new clubs you need fella, its putting and chipping lessons!!! :LOL:

Eric84

Visit site
Fair point, to be honest my putting and chipping is ok. Definitely room for improvement.

I failed to mention that I got the big yips with the driver and don’t use it, maybe why I’m still 24.

Looks like I will be ordering the i530 then.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Did you look at the Ping G730 I know they are game improvement irons, but have been a revelation for me.

I’m hampered by many historical medical issues and have a similar swing speed

Get what works 👍

Eric84

Visit site
They were all proper fittings affiliated with the brands.

I think some of it maybe self doubt, I suppose the normal rule of thumb is that I would be fitted into a gi iron rather than a players distance.

Just hoping someone has had the same experience and could relay information.

Burnsey

Visit site
They were all proper fittings affiliated with the brands.

I think some of it maybe self doubt, I suppose the normal rule of thumb is that I would be fitted into a gi iron rather than a players distance.

Just hoping someone has had the same experience and could relay information.

It's too personal Eric.

I attended a proper no brand specific fitting, which allowed me to understand lie angle, shaft flex, weight, even grios etc, but the heads...

I can't play with GI irons and can't play that well with any others 🤣 but I wanted a certain head type and ended up with Ping i230's, 4 - GW and wedges with the same set up (shafts/weight etc). Now, the fitter didn't let me twist his arm easily, but the demo set worked for me, just didn't go as far as some of the GI options.

I strike the ball well, but with traditional lofts (33 degree 7 iron), I have lost distance and make that up elsewhere, but I am consistent and enjoy my game.

I have since dropped the wedges for a completely different spec, bar the lie angle. It's what works for you. I am at a specific brand driver fitting event soon, but I know what driver I want, so attending more for the whole set up to be tuned in.

If I'm paying, I tend to listen to the parts I want to listen to - at least I leave happy.

Eric84

Visit site
I don’t play with any irons that well either😂.

I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder so maybe psychologically the players iron is better as I don’t like looking down at a gi iron.

Shaft and lie angle is consistent through head changes so it think we have that nailed.

Still can’t make my mind up, maybe a trip back. I do like the 530 though.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I wouldn't call the T200 a GI iron, that's more a player distance one, and looks "better" behind the ball than a GI iron like the i530, to my eye at least.
Launch isn't bad at all with the 7 iron and the peak height isn't a problem as you're not losing much distance with it (bar the last two, but maybe that was fatigue?). If you play a lot of links golf, maybe it's cause for thought, but those numbers should be fine for parkland/heathland golf.
If you trust the fitter and that's their recommendation, then I'd bite the bullet and go for it.
Out of interest, what were the numbers for the T200?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I wouldn't call the T200 a GI iron, that's more a player distance one, and looks "better" behind the ball than a GI iron like the i530, to my eye at least.
Launch isn't bad at all with the 7 iron and the peak height isn't a problem as you're not losing much distance with it (bar the last two, but maybe that was fatigue?). If you play a lot of links golf, maybe it's cause for thought, but those numbers should be fine for parkland/heathland golf.
If you trust the fitter and that's their recommendation, then I'd bite the bullet and go for it.

But it is a GI iron, it's basically a cavity back with a plate over the back to disguise the fact, like most clubs these days.

It looks prettier but it's still a GI iron.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
But it is a GI iron, it's basically a cavity back with a plate over the back to disguise the fact, like most clubs these days.

It looks prettier but it's still a GI iron.
Anything other than the butter knives you use will be GI irons! 🤣

Eric84

Visit site
Numbers wise the t200 was slightly down in ball speed but dispersion was good, I just found the face of the ping had a bit more feeling. I think the bad shots on the ping were down to fatigue as I hat hit over 100 shots by then.