High Launch angle

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As mentioned on a recent thread, I have high launch with all my clubs. I accept that I’m probably flipping my wrists and had tried to work on creating more lag etc in the past.

However, here is my launch monitor numbers of a good shot with a 7i (31*):

CLUB SPEED83.8
SMASH1.30
ATTACK ANGLE (DOWN)-3.1
SWING PATH (IN TO OUT)0.4

BALL SPEED (MPH)109
LAUNCH ANGLE (DEG)24.0
PUSH PULL (DEG)0.4R
SPIN AXIS (DEG)0.5R
TOTAL SPIN (RPM)6800
CARRY (YDS)147.0

If I’m correct, the attack angle is spot on (doesn’t need to be steeper) and the club path is very neutral. The spin axis /push pull are also neutral so the club face must be square to target (it launched and stayed straight).

So why does it launch then 24* instead of optimal 16.5* or at least under 20*?

Any ideas?

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's not a bad numbers to be fair.
it's hard to say without seeing your swing. For me was the feel of hands forward and exiting left helped lower the launch angle but have look on that video

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If it's Trackman, what's your low point distance?
What iron make and is it upright/neutral/flat?
The spin is pretty high for a 7 iron with 31° of loft too.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it's Trackman, what's your low point distance?
What iron make and is it upright/neutral/flat?
The spin is pretty high for a 7 iron with 31° of loft too.
It’s GC2 (in the single dot mode so no further data).

The club is 7i Srixon Z565, 1 deg upright => 63*, + 1/2” length => 37.5”, Modus 130 shaft in stiff flex.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
It’s GC2 (in the single dot mode so no further data).

The club is 7i Srixon Z565, 1 deg upright => 63*, + 1/2” length => 37.5”, Modus 130 shaft in stiff flex.
If you can get on a Trackman somewhere, the low point distance will be really helpful for you.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
As mentioned on a recent thread, I have high launch with all my clubs. I accept that I’m probably flipping my wrists and had tried to work on creating more lag etc in the past.

However, here is my launch monitor numbers of a good shot with a 7i (31*):

CLUB SPEED83.8
SMASH1.30
ATTACK ANGLE (DOWN)-3.1
SWING PATH (IN TO OUT)0.4

BALL SPEED (MPH)109
LAUNCH ANGLE (DEG)24.0
PUSH PULL (DEG)0.4R
SPIN AXIS (DEG)0.5R
TOTAL SPIN (RPM)6800
CARRY (YDS)147.0

If I’m correct, the attack angle is spot on (doesn’t need to be steeper) and the club path is very neutral. The spin axis /push pull are also neutral so the club face must be square to target (it launched and stayed straight).

So why does it launch then 24* instead of optimal 16.5* or at least under 20*?

Any ideas?
I’m certainly no expert
However many moons ago I had a lesson with Mark Crossfield,I was delivering 16 degrees of loft which apparently is low for a 7 iron.
By the end of the session I was delivering 19 although for me that was something I found difficult.
Apparently it’s down to dynamic loft,I suspect that was down to how I delivered the face to the ball.
24 degrees and 6800 spin would definitely be an advantage on firm greens.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m certainly no expert
However many moons ago I had a lesson with Mark Crossfield,I was delivering 16 degrees of loft which apparently is low for a 7 iron.
By the end of the session I was delivering 19 although for me that was something I found difficult.
Apparently it’s down to dynamic loft,I suspect that was down to how I delivered the face to the ball.
24 degrees and 6800 spin would definitely be an advantage on firm greens.
Interesting that he thought 16 was low - the tour avg for 7i is 16.1 so you were spot on :). What was your club/ball speed?

My understanding is that as a rule of thumb the launch angle is a half of the club loft and the spin is the club number x1,000.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting that he thought 16 was low - the tour avg for 7i is 16.1 so you were spot on :). What was your club/ball speed?

My understanding is that as a rule of thumb the launch angle is a half of the club loft and the spin is the club number x1,000.
I honestly couldn’t tell you it was years ago
Club x 1000 is I would say very good.
Having a 24 degree launch angle with that amount of spin would definitely stop the ball quickly which when the greens are hard is basically what Mark was talking about.
I’ve certainly improved my iron striking over the years and really do try and add loft when I need height.