High Iron Fade/Slice

LS14

Medal Winner
Visit site
Lately I've noticed that my 4 and 3 irons, although particularly the 3, have developed quite a severe fade/slice that leaves the ball a good 5/10 yards left of where I intend the ball to land.

My natural shot is a slight draw, so for it to fade that much is obviously a fairly poor error. All my other irons are fine and the 4i is intermittent with the fade. Could it be a case of my weak grip? I'll try to load a video of my swing up on Youtube this weekend to see if there's any specific errors.

Fairly close to abandoning the club and just plumping for a hybrid, but I've obviously like to save myself the expense if I can :D

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
Lately I've noticed that my 4 and 3 irons, although particularly the 3, have developed quite a severe fade/slice that leaves the ball a good 5/10 yards left of where I intend the ball to land.

My natural shot is a slight draw, so for it to fade that much is obviously a fairly poor error. All my other irons are fine and the 4i is intermittent with the fade. Could it be a case of my weak grip? I'll try to load a video of my swing up on Youtube this weekend to see if there's any specific errors.

Fairly close to abandoning the club and just plumping for a hybrid, but I've obviously like to save myself the expense if I can :D

you're right handed, with a fade/slice and ending up 5/10 yards left of target line - do you mean right of your target?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
If you only ending up 5/10 yards off target. Is it such a massive issue??? :D

You probably hit your 4iron around 180 - 200. 5 yards is only a 2.5% error. Tour pro's work on up to 10% error, learn to live with it. Most people would love to only miss by 5 yards at a target over 170 yards away.

BTW what is your handicap if your margin of error is so small I think you'll be giving more advice than you ask for. ;)

LS14

Medal Winner
Visit site

you're right handed, with a fade/slice and ending up 5/10 yards left of target line - do you mean right of your target?

Ack, just read that back and realised. Of course I do :eek:

As for it not being so much of a problem, I guess so but I'd still like to address it as it's not what I'm intending and my approach shots on par 5s are now some distance off the green and into some traps. I've got quite a low swing speed so my 3i goes about 160-180.

As for handicap, I'm not a member at any club so I don't have one. I graduated from university two years ago and haven't had the chance to join a club as I spent 18 months looking for a job. Now I'm earning though, it's one of my biggest priorities.