High handicapper/beginner driver

Bswarbs

Visit site
Hi,

I’ve been playing on and off for a number of years but just starting to take it more seriously and been having lessons. The pro is keen to get start teaching me to use a driver even if I don’t game it until I’m confident. I’ve always stayed away from them before and have started looking but it’s a minefield. He said to get something with minimum 10 degrees loft, adjustable and made in the last three years. would massively appreciate some advice. Thanks!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Golfbidder will give you an idea of age and what they are charging so you can work out how old the drivers are

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/clubtype/1/drivers.html

Options from 2018 would include TM M3, Ping G400 Max, Callaway Rogue, Wilson Staff D7, Srixon Z785, Titleist TS2 from some of the main OEMs there are obviously plenty of other options

Will give you base as to price to, personally would then have a look on ebay/gumtree etc to see if you can find cheaper (or keep an eye on the for sale here)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My old mans just brought a brand new M2 from american golf for £250, the M6 is only 300. Both I think are decent value for what they are - but new!

Used - really just pick something you fancy? Ive always heard that Ping G drivers are forgiving if thats what youre after. Taylormade drivers sound and look better (imo). I currently use a Callaway RAZR Black driver that cost £35 from a mate who upgraded. Nothing wrong with it at all!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The big question is as per Fundy's post, what is your budget? Keeping the price down to a reasonable level I would suggest an offering from Wilson, Benross or Cobra.

You should get a decent version from one of those brands, from within the last three years, at a non scary price.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you've got any golfer friends, as a first port of call see if they've got any old ones you could try.

Otherwise, your pros advice is sensible. But I wouldn't limit it to the last three years. I use a tailormade r15 and I doubt the newer models would out perform it by any meaningful margin, and that would only be more the case for a beginner.

My first modern driver was a Ping G2 (which is very old now!), but it was a really good driver! I regretted it when I moved on to something else.

Ping would be a good place to start, but as has been said above, I doubt you'd be disappointed with anything from Ping, Taylormade or Callaway in the last few years.

EDIT: Looking on ebay now, you would be able to pick up something good for £80 no problem. There's an RBZ stage 2 auction finishing soon with the current bid at £80, that's possibly a bit expensive, but just keep your eye on ebay and you'll get a feel for what goes for what, and if in doubt, you can always ask on here!

Bswarbs

Visit site
The big question is as per Fundy's post, what is your budget? Keeping the price down to a reasonable level I would suggest an offering from Wilson, Benross or Cobra.

You should get a decent version from one of those brands, from within the last three years, at a non scary price.
I’ll spend up to 200 as I figure I can sell it as and when I want to change and i need all the help I can get right now. I’d rather lay out more money if it makes it a tiny bit easier and therefore more enjoyable!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ll spend up to 200 as I figure I can sell it as and when I want to change and i need all the help I can get right now. I’d rather lay out more money if it makes it a tiny bit easier and therefore more enjoyable!
That moves the goal posts a bit.

You may get a Ping G400. You will definitely get a Ping G30, older than 3 years but still absolutely solid and would be ideal for a high handicapper.

Taylormade M2 & M3

Cobra F8

Personally I would look at a Ping G30 or the Cobra. Both are well within budget, will be great for where you are and you will be able to sell them on in 12 months, if you want to, without too much of a loss. If they work for you, don't sell!

I would not spend top end of your budget at this stage, no need to.

Bswarbs

Visit site
Thanks for all your help
That moves the goal posts a bit.

You may get a Ping G400. You will definitely get a Ping G30, older than 3 years but still absolutely solid and would be ideal for a high handicapper.

Taylormade M2 & M3

Cobra F8

Personally I would look at a Ping G30 or the Cobra. Both are well within budget, will be great for where you are and you will be able to sell them on in 12 months, if you want to, without too much of a loss. If they work for you, don't sell!

I would not spend top end of your budget at this stage, no need to.
Thanks for al your help. I bought a g30 from eBay for 150. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all your help
Thanks for al your help. I bought a g30 from eBay for 150. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Please do. Always interesting to hear how people find different gear.

Very respected range, G30, and if you don't get on with it I am sure you will get your money back or close to it.

stirry

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I’ve been playing on and off for a number of years but just starting to take it more seriously and been having lessons. The pro is keen to get start teaching me to use a driver even if I don’t game it until I’m confident. I’ve always stayed away from them before and have started looking but it’s a minefield. He said to get something with minimum 10 degrees loft, adjustable and made in the last three years. would massively appreciate some advice. Thanks!
I always struggled with my driver until this year , the local pro told me to try the Mizuno St rage, I bought the Mizuno St 190 and I have never driven the ball so well, sometimes still hit bad drive but the consistency is so much better.

I picked a 2nd hand one up from Ebay for £150.

albie999

Visit site
I wanted to update my Ben Ross HTX driver, but also did not want to spend a fortune. Ended up getting a 2nd hand TM M2 for £90 .... there is a very small sky mark, but am sure I will add to that anyway ;-)

Have to agree, the noise from this driver when you get hold of one is amazing ... also, I have seen probably a 20 yd gain from the Ben Ross .... so good all round for me