Hidden GUR

Manlygolfdog

Visit site
The weekend just been I found myself maybe 3 metres off the fairway in some friendly rough. I thought that where my ball had come to lie looked noticeably different from the rest of the rough, but thought nothing of it (maybe some weed spray was dropped or grass mowed too low). I picked my club addressed the ball and hit. I immediately felt something that was not grass and dirt, I looked down and saw large pieces of gravel, I then began looking around and realised about a metre in front of me was what I would describe as a buried drain or some kind of sink pit to assist water drainage. I continued to play, as I had no clue of the rulings etc. I later looked at my card and saw there was a local rule, or it may be a general rule I can't remember, stating drains, sink pits are GUR.

So my question here is, I had no way of being able to tell I was in a GUR area and hit my ball, it was a big disadvantage, am I able to re hit with no penalty and take relief from the GUR or do I have to identify the GUR before I hit?

Thanks in advance

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks, I didn't so my instincts served me well then. If it is in a NPZ is there a penalty?
No, not to drop out and then play. But if you had played from a NPZ you would have played from a Wrong Place and would have to correct and play correctly with a 2 stroke or loss of hole penalty.

Edit:
Incidentally, it would have been a Local Rule and should have been marked/identified more clearly.
However, as it sounds rather as if was an artificial construction, it would normally have been an Immovable Obstruction, from which optional relief would have been free.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not to drop out and then play. But that if you played from the NPZ you would have played from a Wrong Place and would have to correct and play correctly with a penalty.
But how would our OP know it was a NPZ or GUR if it wasn’t marked or obvious from observation, but he only realised after hitting the ball.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But how would our OP know it was a NPZ or GUR if it wasn’t marked or obvious from observation, but he only realised after hitting the ball.
There's no excuse for the committee not marking it (especially if it had been a NPZ) but the LR seemingly was on the card. I assume it wasn't the OP's own club so he should have checked the LRs first.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, I didn't so my instincts served me well then. If it is in a NPZ is there a penalty?

Penalties for playing from a NPZ are

The General penalty for accidentally playing from one

DQ for deliberately doing so if it is to gain and advantage e.g. you do not like the area in which you have to drop.

You would need to read the LR carefully as there would not necessarily be relief as it may only apply to exposed drainage areas.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
But even if he had read the LR or known about it....from the OP's description there was nothing to define the area to which the "GUR" extended....yes the ground looked slightly different but that is not enough to determine if you get relief. The sink pit itself was three feet away and not obvious until he actively started looking around.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the sink pit was a metre away, I don’t see that there could have been any interference from it. The chunks of gravel are loose impediments which you could clear away before playing.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the sink pit was a metre away, I don’t see that there could have been any interference from it. The chunks of gravel are loose impediments which you could clear away before playing.
It's not clear if the chunks of gravel were part of a 'breaking up' complete construction analogous to a drystone wall.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Seems like many of the issues that players encounter are caused by poor or no marking by the Committees in charge? That is unfortunate, but should be easily corrected.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
An interesting dilemma but maybe the morsl of the story is to read the back of the card before the start for anything unusual. Most of us rarely do in fairness but you’ve prompted me to do it more.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
An interesting dilemma but maybe the morsl of the story is to read the back of the card before the start for anything unusual. Most of us rarely do in fairness but you’ve prompted me to do it more.
And read the club's notice board. Often there isn't enough room to get the details on the card. Temporary alterations or new LRs will not be on the card either.

D-S

Visit site
We also advise clubs to put local rules on the WHS Portal as then you can see them on the EG App. It’s not always easy to remember what’s on their notice board when you’re out on the course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would not mind a £5 for every time I have been asked a rule for me to reply " it's on the card" or "it's in the local rules book"

even had to correct someone preparing to be a qualified ref after giving out wrong advice because they had not read the local rules book.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I would not mind a £5 for every time I have been asked a rule for me to reply " it's on the card" or "it's in the local rules book"

even had to correct someone preparing to be a qualified ref after giving out wrong advice because they had not read the local rules book.
You have a local rules book? ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have a local rules book? ?

Yes. We have rules which you must know before stepping on to the tee.
It includes a full guide to Obstructions (our card and rules read 'There are no obstructions integral to the course') Detailing all the obstructions on the course would probably need an A4 sheet of paper.

The rules book (which is the primary reference) contains the rules in full detail including all penalties. The card is just a precis of the local rules which are needed on the course.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes. We have rules which you must know before stepping on to the tee.
It includes a full guide to Obstructions (our card and rules read 'There are no obstructions integral to the course') Detailing all the obstructions on the course would probably need an A4 sheet of paper.

The rules book (which is the primary reference) contains the rules in full detail including all penalties. The card is just a precis of the local rules which are needed on the course.
I like your first sentence. I certainly see at a lot of courses, they seem to be a bit afraid of listing off rules and etiquette such as repairing divots and pitch marks in case it stops visitors. Personally I think we all have a duty to protect the courses we play on and keeping them in the best condition possible. Slightly off topic I know.