Hi Lofted driver Question

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've pretty much always used 12 degree drivers. Lower loft gets me a little further out there , but I just feel I can keep a higher lofted driver a bit straighter.

A point I found though, I don't like a lower lofted driver cranked up as to my eye this sits the face a bit closed.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Changed the loft from 9 to 11 on my Callaway. Strike it better and goes further for me. Seems like it goes a bit too high for me but then when you see how high the pro hit it, it probably isn't. Only issues I'm having the now, is an open face, but that's more likely due to set up/swing but it is creating a few pushes/blocks from time to time.

Just wish I had changed the loft a lot sooner instead of thinking I needed a lower loft.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I switched to an adjustable 12 degree R15 at xmas and it (combined with lessons with a new pro) has changed my game completely for the better. Some people (playing partners) reckon I get too much height on my drives but both my current and former teaching pro recommended switching to 12 degree as higher the loft the less the slice. I went for the R15 because I can crank it up to 14 degree if I choose to or down to 10 Degree.. I was going to go for the 10.5 degree and crank it up all time to 12.5 but then I thought I will never actually get comfortable hitting at 8.5 degree... well I may but by the time I am there it will be time for a change anyways

on a side note one of the most consistent golfers I play with (we went out together in winter and he hit 77 playing off 14 at the time) uses a 15 degree driver that he had an inch chopped off the end. Nice straight drives everytime. over the course of the season he has been cut to 10.7 and the way he has been playing it wont be long before he is off single figures

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I switched to an adjustable 12 degree R15 at xmas and it (combined with lessons with a new pro) has changed my game completely for the better. Some people (playing partners) reckon I get too much height on my drives but both my current and former teaching pro recommended switching to 12 degree as higher the loft the less the slice. I went for the R15 because I can crank it up to 14 degree if I choose to or down to 10 Degree.. I was going to go for the 10.5 degree and crank it up all time to 12.5 but then I thought I will never actually get comfortable hitting at 8.5 degree... well I may but by the time I am there it will be time for a change anyways

on a side note one of the most consistent golfers I play with (we went out together in winter and he hit 77 playing off 14 at the time) uses a 15 degree driver that he had an inch chopped off the end. Nice straight drives everytime. over the course of the season he has been cut to 10.7 and the way he has been playing it wont be long before he is off single figures

Nothing wrong with height as long as you get good straight distance, no good hitting the 60/70 feet up if your only getting 100yds forward, I get on an average day around the 240-260 mark but I get huge height along with it, makes my playing partner chuckle every time, he very often says he's glad I don't translate that height into distance cos he'd never keep up !...:thup:

Ps, 9* X2hot set on 10*/N, Tour stiff green shaft...

Last edited: