Heythrop Park

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So, it's that time of year again.
Playing in the society weekend next month.
Phase looked online but aren't too many pics of the course. Saw an animated flyover, but anyone played/stayed there?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven't, but a mate has and whilst he rated it, he did say it had the longest walks between green and tees that he has ever encountered. We did look at playing there recently but because of that felt a buggy was needed and as it was around £50 a round plus buggy fees we decided that it wasn't worth it.

I would like to play it though as years ago before it was a golf course, it was NatWests staff training college, so I spent several weeks there in the 80's and 90's. Stunning building.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I haven't, but a mate has and whilst he rated it, he did say it had the longest walks between green and tees that he has ever encountered. We did look at playing there recently but because of that felt a buggy was needed and as it was around £50 a round plus buggy fees we decided that it wasn't worth it.

I would like to play it though as years ago before it was a golf course, it was NatWests staff training college, so I spent several weeks there in the 80's and 90's. Stunning building.

Had a look at teeofff times and it's one £15 each now. Have 2 nights and 3 rounds planned so hopefully get a good look at it.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, it's that time of year again.
Playing in the society weekend next month.
Phase looked online but aren't too many pics of the course. Saw an animated flyover, but anyone played/stayed there?

Stayed and played there at the end of last month. We stayed in the Crown Plaza part of the hotel and it was enjoyable but expensive.

It is a pretty easy first few holes and lulls you into a false sense of security. You then have a couple of holes that play over the river and the rough and trees start to come into play. The walks to the tees also become longer culminating on the par 3 thirteenth where the trek from the twelfth is the longest I have ever made. If I played it again I would definitely get a buggy.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Stayed and played there at the end of last month. We stayed in the Crown Plaza part of the hotel and it was enjoyable but expensive.

It is a pretty easy first few holes and lulls you into a false sense of security. You then have a couple of holes that play over the river and the rough and trees start to come into play. The walks to the tees also become longer culminating on the par 3 thirteenth where the trek from the twelfth is the longest I have ever made. If I played it again I would definitely get a buggy.

The 11th looks a bit of a monster! Can see a few reloads between the groups!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 11th looks a bit of a monster! Can see a few reloads between the groups!

It's not that bad if you get the tee shot onto the fairway as it is downhill most of the way. The position of the tee encourages you to push it out to the right and there is a fence and OOB waiting for those shots. The tricky bit is getting into position for the shot to the green as it is situated to the left of the fairway, guarded by a large tree. You have to get far enough down the fairway to get a decent shot in but if you go too far you are in the lake. Tricky hole indeed.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
4+ year bump ?

Have seen quite a few comments criticising the quality around 2017 & 2018 (last from Fish). Also hear (unconfirmed) about new greenkeeper(s) from summer 2018 and possible upturn.
So wondering if anyone has any recent experience?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look at the active thread re Robin Matthews-Williams - has a v log on you Tube playing the course as it is rated, perhaps unfairly, the worst according to Trip Advisor. Conclusion was that it wasn't that bad at all.
No way is it the worst course out there. As much as it’s about cash. A terrible course isn’t getting a challenge tour event. People are brain dead.

Simonsmh

Visit site
I first played the course in June 2017 and although the layout was fantastic; it's designed by Tom Mckenzie, the course was in terrible condition. I couldn't tell where the fairways ended and rough started and the greens were so bad we didn't bother putting. I was there with work for a conference so didn't pay a green-fee, if it was my money I would have been in the pro shop asking for my money back! I remember at the time thinking it was a real shame because the layout was awesome and I thought it could be really special.

Later that year I moved to the area and because of my experience above didn't even consider Heythrop as a club to join. This part of world is a bit of a golfing desert and having been lucky enough to be a member at the likes of Knole Park, The Addington and Stoke Park I had accepted that I was going to have to lower my expectations. I joined Tadmarton Heath in late 2018 on their winter membership deal but they had suffered badly from the hot summer so I gave that up and was a bit of a nomad until this year.

Early in the summer a friend who was is a member at Chipping Norton Golf Club asked if I had played Heythrop recently because they had been hearing good things. I called the club and spoke to Jamie Cook and explained my experience in 2017, he invited me to come down and have a look for myself. I went down later that week, played a round and joined on the spot!

The difference in the condition of the course from 2017 was incredible! After my round Jamie told me that I had played it at its worst and it had been on the up since then. The new head green keeper has come from the Grove, they have invested heavily in new machinery this year and that has meant another step change in conditioning. They have done a huge amount of work on the greens and its really paying off, we haven't been closed once this year because of the weather (the course has fantastic drainage) and no winter greens or temp tees. There is still work do, but its going on the right direction quickly.

There are fantastic practice facilitoes including full length grass driving range and short game area with chipping green and large putting green.

Membership has grown from a low of 35 in 2017 to nearly 300 now, and it is continuing to grow. I think this is the best indicator of how much things have improved

There are a few long walks from greens to tees, this is down to planning restrictions...the estate dates back to 1707 and they were restricted on routing when building the course..The buggy paths are a bit of nightmare but these are going to be replaced imminently. There are some big carry's on a few holes and it is quite a tough course but that's part of the attraction. If you're a member here your handicap travels very well!

There are a few negative comments about the price of breakfats etc...but you have to remember that this is a resort course, the price of breakfast is no different to that at any other comparable hotel.

If you live locally give Jamie a call and arrange to come down and see it for yourself. And if you are looking for a good value golf break in the UK its worth looking at.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's really nice to read. Makes a change from all the reports of courses closing down. Nice to have a positive change for once.

Simonsmh

Visit site
I was thinking about hosting a “mini “meet” here later in the year if anybody is interested? I might start a new thread in the arrange a game section.

We have a Jamega Tour event towards the end of Apr so the course will be in fantastic condition.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I first played the course in June 2017 and although the layout was fantastic; it's designed by Tom Mckenzie, the course was in terrible condition. I couldn't tell where the fairways ended and rough started and the greens were so bad we didn't bother putting. I was there with work for a conference so didn't pay a green-fee, if it was my money I would have been in the pro shop asking for my money back! I remember at the time thinking it was a real shame because the layout was awesome and I thought it could be really special.

Later that year I moved to the area and because of my experience above didn't even consider Heythrop as a club to join. This part of world is a bit of a golfing desert and having been lucky enough to be a member at the likes of Knole Park, The Addington and Stoke Park I had accepted that I was going to have to lower my expectations. I joined Tadmarton Heath in late 2018 on their winter membership deal but they had suffered badly from the hot summer so I gave that up and was a bit of a nomad until this year.

Early in the summer a friend who was is a member at Chipping Norton Golf Club asked if I had played Heythrop recently because they had been hearing good things. I called the club and spoke to Jamie Cook and explained my experience in 2017, he invited me to come down and have a look for myself. I went down later that week, played a round and joined on the spot!

The difference in the condition of the course from 2017 was incredible! After my round Jamie told me that I had played it at its worst and it had been on the up since then. The new head green keeper has come from the Grove, they have invested heavily in new machinery this year and that has meant another step change in conditioning. They have done a huge amount of work on the greens and its really paying off, we haven't been closed once this year because of the weather (the course has fantastic drainage) and no winter greens or temp tees. There is still work do, but its going on the right direction quickly.

There are fantastic practice facilitoes including full length grass driving range and short game area with chipping green and large putting green.

Membership has grown from a low of 35 in 2017 to nearly 300 now, and it is continuing to grow. I think this is the best indicator of how much things have improved

There are a few long walks from greens to tees, this is down to planning restrictions...the estate dates back to 1707 and they were restricted on routing when building the course..The buggy paths are a bit of nightmare but these are going to be replaced imminently. There are some big carry's on a few holes and it is quite a tough course but that's part of the attraction. If you're a member here your handicap travels very well!

There are a few negative comments about the price of breakfats etc...but you have to remember that this is a resort course, the price of breakfast is no different to that at any other comparable hotel.

If you live locally give Jamie a call and arrange to come down and see it for yourself. And if you are looking for a good value golf break in the UK its worth looking at.

slight aside but shame to hear Tadmarton suffering :(