Help with a ruling

Visit site
Guys
During a recent friendly game with my mates one of them pulled me up on a ruling so that I was aware of things for comps matches etc....

I hit an approach to the green which fell short by 1 foot or so. As it landed it created a pitch mark about 2 foot to the right of my ball. Both the pitch mark and the ball where off the green but the pitch mark was well away from my line to the hole.

In the interest of the course I leaned over and repaired the pitch mark prior to taking my shot. This is when my friend said that this was something that I couldn't do until after I had played my shot and that it constituted a foul shot.

The last thing to perhaps mention was that we were playing preferred lies but I had not needed to lift and clean my ball.

What's the ruling?

Tigers in the woods

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If my memory serves, he was right.
You can repair it if it was on the green but not off it.
Just checked ....you cant repair it if it's on your line so, best to wait till after the shot is played. That way you don't have to prove it wasn't on your line.

Last edited:

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Harrington was pulled up on this a while back. Don't know if it was a penalty or a DQ however since he seems to have amassed a fair few of both due to extreme silliness over the years.

BrummieFred

Hacker
Visit site
In the circumstances you describe I can see no offence providing this was not on 'your line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole', Rule 13.2, but if in doubt then as previously suggested, carry out the repair after you have putted.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If it is well away from your line, I can see no problem. If in doubt you could just mention to you playing partner what you are about to do, in case he wants a closer look. Saves possible argument after the event.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the pitch mark was not on his line of play then I believe he did not break a rule.
Rule 13 - 2 explains:

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:
• the position or lie of his ball,
• the area of his intended stance or swing,
• his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole, or
• the area in which he is to drop or place a ball

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys
During a recent friendly game with my mates one of them pulled me up on a ruling so that I was aware of things for comps matches etc....

I hit an approach to the green which fell short by 1 foot or so. As it landed it created a pitch mark about 2 foot to the right of my ball. Both the pitch mark and the ball where off the green but the pitch mark was well away from my line to the hole.

In the interest of the course I leaned over and repaired the pitch mark prior to taking my shot. This is when my friend said that this was something that I couldn't do until after I had played my shot and that it constituted a foul shot.

The last thing to perhaps mention was that we were playing preferred lies but I had not needed to lift and clean my ball.

What's the ruling?

Tigers in the woods
Hello & welcome along .as it was not on your line you did not break a rule , just an add on to this please guys i cant seem to get definate answer , when playing P&P / preferred lies is it compulsory or optional to pick & place your ball , answers im geting seem to sway twords compulsory .. i am doing it just to make sure ..

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello & welcome along .as it was not on your line you did not break a rule , just an add on to this please guys i cant seem to get definate answer , when playing P&P / preferred lies is it compulsory or optional to pick & place your ball , answers im geting seem to sway twords compulsory .. i am doing it just to make sure ..

It's optional. You can play the ball as it lies.