Help to get my knee across to my left and roll right foot during my swing

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi

Looking fo some advise and drills to help shift my weight to the LHS during the swing.

The feeling I have at the moment is I struggle shifting my weight and my right knee to my left and I'm pivoting my right foot as an after thought rather than what I'm told I should be doing which is roll and then pivot as part of the transition

Any good vids or drills to help with this would be great

thanks

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here's a few things to consider if weight shift to the left is an issue. Very often the problem happens because the 'weight' isn't going back the ideal ways to start with.
One thing that's crucial to good foot work in the through swing, is coiling properly onto the inside of the right foot going back to the top of the backswing.

Folks that have some trouble 'getting onto' the left side at start of downswing (as you need to in a good swing motion) often either sway right a good ways off the ball going back &/or straighten their right leg going back, the result of either or both means the weight stays on the right side as they swing down.
This often results in the downswing being started wrongly with the upper body, all shoulders & arms, instead of the lower body led from the weight on left foot/leg first before the club comes down.

So this sway a ways right off the ball etc. will result in not so good contact of all kinds, an out to in oversteep swing path, fats, & thins & tops as the wrists/hands flip to avoid the ground before contact.

So a big part of getting the weight on the left in the throughswing, the hip clearing, the right foot, right leg & hip working towards target is making sure there's a turn & coil going back not a sway & the top of swing is reached in good shape, weight staying on the inside of the right foot & retaining the knee flex & address posture & spine angles.

Once going back is in good shape, here's a vid that should be of some help, the audio's not great, but the info is good.

[video=youtube_share;6fKHfjuQMys]http://youtu.be/6fKHfjuQMys[/video]

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Tried some of these at the range to day with good success! The one that help the most was the comment to reduce my stance as this help me with the feeling of how to get my weight across by rolling the right foot before rotating, so need to take it to the course next at the Roll Up Wed evening.

Thanks again

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay.
Don't want to get to narrow going out to play as you still need a good solid base to be able to keep good balance & rhythm through the swing.
Narrow it down a tad say for the drills with an 8i or 7i with an easy swing to feel the coil back onto the trail inside foot then you get the time to feel the weight on the lead foot at transition & to impact clearing the lead hip.
But out on the course you want to take that drill weight transfer feel left, hip clearing, but back with a proper stance width for whichever club.
Beware being over narrow out on the course as you'll be likely to lose balance.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks again for the advice, before I went to the range I measured my stance and it was 2 ~ 3 inches wider than my shoulders so at the range I knocked it back an inch less than my shoulders to start with and ended the session with them shoulder width. Our course can be quite undulating so a very narrow stance, as you suggested, would be an issue.

Thanks again

dsanders9944

Medal Winner
www.bdgolf.tv
Without seeing your swing this is a little bit like guess work but a lot of the time people who struggle with getting the weight through on impact have the following issues

1) The wrong concept of how to get the ball in the air

They think that you should it on the up swing as apose to the downswing causing you to lean back on impact. Do you top the ball much? If so, watch this clip on how to stop topping,

[video=youtube_share;C1nW7o2IBNU]http://youtu.be/C1nW7o2IBNU[/video]

dsanders9944

Medal Winner
www.bdgolf.tv
If you feel that wrong concept is not your issue then try this one which is a nice simple drill to help you get the lower body working better in the downswing

[video=youtube_share;_UhkF1f3lkI]http://youtu.be/_UhkF1f3lkI[/video]

Good luck!!

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks dsanders9944, I feel I know that I have to compress the ball its just putting the ideas into practice so the drill are some thing I can work on without swing a club