Help stop the over the top

Scottwakey

Visit site
Hi. Just start playing again after a 4 years out, when I stopped I was playing off 10 but now I'm 18 on a good day. Video myself at the driving range and coming over the top massively. Hitting shots very left of massive slice and hitting chunky shots. Can anyone help please.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes, go get a lesson with a decent pro. Its no good trying to do a swing change with advice off an internet forum from people that have not seen your swing. You tube could give you some specific drills to try if you don't fancy spending any money though.

Dannyc

Visit site
Used to have same problem a good shot would be a little fade but the bad shot was a massive pull to the left
Had a few lessons got me turning shoulders and hips more

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Without seeing your swing, it's going to be guesswork. But one of the cuases of over the top, is taking it away too far on the inside, club head is then behind your hands, one of the ways to hit it from there can be an over the top downswing. Brendon de Jong is a little bit over the top (or used to be, looks a bit clamer now). Good to take a look at his swing and notice how it can work if it's controlled. Defo a trip to a Pro is your best bet, but never hurts to understand what's happening.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Headcover drill is a good one.

Place one headcover behind and to the right of the ball

Place a second one in front and to the left of the ball

Swing without hitting the headcovers, promoting an in to out path.

Or visit a Pro 👍👍

D

Deleted Member 1156

Agree with others, get a lesson! But as a quick swing thought tip, work on getting your right shoulder (assuming you are right handed) coming through under your chin.