Help Purchasing New Club

Adam00

Visit site
Hi golfers,

I am a 12 handicapper and am considering going to get custom fitted for a new golf club. My current set is 4-SW (55 degree SW) Taylormade RSI1 irons, a Cobra AMP Cell (10.5 deg) driver, 15 degree 3 wood, 60 deg lob wedge and putter obviously. I am a member at a really short golf course so this set has been great for getting me down to this handicap. However, I am not sure whether or not I could do with a gap wedge (to bridge the gap between my 44 PW and 55 SW) or possibly a 3 hybrid (to play longer par 4s and 5s). Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers and Happy Halloween!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi golfers,

I am a 12 handicapper and am considering going to get custom fitted for a new golf club. My current set is 4-SW (55 degree SW) Taylormade RSI1 irons, a Cobra AMP Cell (10.5 deg) driver, 15 degree 3 wood, 60 deg lob wedge and putter obviously. I am a member at a really short golf course so this set has been great for getting me down to this handicap. However, I am not sure whether or not I could do with a gap wedge (to bridge the gap between my 44 PW and 55 SW) or possibly a 3 hybrid (to play longer par 4s and 5s). Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers and Happy Halloween!

Personally I'd look to fill the wedge gap as 11 degrees is too big in my opinion

Adam00

Visit site
I thought this was a crowd funding post to buy Trump National or the like, but whatever.

Welcome along.

44 to 55 is a big gap, fill that.

:whoo:

Haha. Yeah I have started to notice the gap in distances more now that I have improved my short game. There's a good 20 yards total distance between a full PW and full SW for me. Will have a look for a 50/52 then. Thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go for a GW.

No need to worry about matching makes as wedges are all about control and generally come with a stiffer shaft.

D

Deleted member 21258

Sounds like a big gap in the lower end of your clubs, something that fills the distance gap there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless you have some Par 3 where you can't reach with long iron(s) then I'd recommend a Gap wedge too.

And then learn to hit (and memorise of note the distances of) 3/4 and half shots at least - if not shorter ones as well. Various methods, though I favour Pelz's 'Clock' method - 10:30, 9:00 and 7:30 backswing, finishing in same (11:00-ish) follow-through position.

Edit. RSI1 has an AW which it the equivalent of GW. This shouls fill the gap and feel the same as the rest of the irons!

Last edited: