Help on golf clubs to buy

Max1237

Visit site
I’m 18 and just looking to buy some new clubs. I don’t have much money and I’m looking for a fairly cheap set of irons. Does anyone know somewhere or a set that I could get? Thanks?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would take a look on local Facebook marketplace listings etc. You’ll have people having clear outs and wanting to get rid. Also keep an eye on the for sale listings here.

I’m out of the loop on clubs suitable for higher handicappers or those just starting playing, having just started playing again myself but callaway and ping are generally good bets!

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m 18 and just looking to buy some new clubs. I don’t have much money and I’m looking for a fairly cheap set of irons. Does anyone know somewhere or a set that I could get? Thanks?

Same as above, I know a few people who have got some bargains from gumtree. Or you could buy a set of Cobra Fly z+ from me if your interested ?

Max1237

Visit site
I would take a look on local Facebook marketplace listings etc. You’ll have people having clear outs and wanting to get rid. Also keep an eye on the for sale listings here.

I’m out of the loop on clubs suitable for higher handicappers or those just starting playing, having just started playing again myself but callaway and ping are generally good bets!
Cheers??I’ll have a look on there. What would you say is a good price for a good set of clubs?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends entirely on the person selling them and the age of the clubs. Do you have a budget you want to stick to? You can get an older set of irons for less than £200 for sure.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
For low budget, look at Benross 2nd hand on eBay. Well regarded clubmaker but don't have value on used market. There's some iron sets on eBay for around £70.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What would you say is a good price for a good set of irons?

Define a good set? Is probably the answer you don’t wanna hear.

None of the big oems make bad clubs. So Ping, Callaway, TM, you won’t go wrong.

I’d maybe go Callaway x18s x22s in the irons, ping g10-20 woods, benross hybrids, something like that

But beware, if you get the bug, you’ll be after the newest and shiniest gear within 6 months ?

Max1237

Visit site
Depends entirely on the person selling them and the age of the clubs. Do you have a budget you want to stick to? You can get an older set of irons for less than £200 for sure.
I’d like to stick around the £200 mark maybe a bit over if I like them. I’ve had a look on gumtree, found a titleist set for £150

Max1237

Visit site
Define a good set? Is probably the answer you don’t wanna hear.

None of the big oems make bad clubs. So Ping, Callaway, TM, you won’t go wrong.

I’d maybe go Callaway x18s x22s in the irons, ping g10-20 woods, benross hybrids, something like that

But beware, if you get the bug, you’ll be after the newest and shiniest gear within 6 months ?
Well like a set that’s good quality really?
Doesn’t sound like a bad set that?I’ll have a look around and see what I can find for reasonable prices. Yeh I can imagine, I’ve already found myself on American golf looking at the newest clubs?need to stay clear of them?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you look at newly listed items on eBay etc , some decent stuff comes up. if you’re quick off the mark bargains can be had

Some older models from brands like Cleveland & Wilson Staff would have very decent irons for good prices

Max1237

Visit site
If you look at newly listed items on eBay etc , some decent stuff comes up. if you’re quick off the mark bargains can be had

Some older models from brands like Cleveland & Wilson Staff would have very decent irons for good prices
yeh just been on eBay, found a callaway X series Iron set 5-SW for £102 and Titleist ZM forged Iron set 3-P for £150. Do you know if they are decent?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
yeh just been on eBay, found a callaway X series Iron set 5-SW for £102 and Titleist ZM forged Iron set 3-P for £150. Do you know if they are decent?
I’d say the Callaway would be best of those two. The Titleist would be good quality too but that model would be pretty unforgiving from what I know. Would be designed for very good low handicap players. Maybe some others here could advice further

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Yeh I’ll have a look, are benross easy to hit irons?

I believe they have some forgiving irons which are easy to hit. Just Google individual models if you see any at a good price and look for any mention of 'game improvement' irons. You could probably get a full set of Benross irons, driver, hybrid and putter for £150-£200 then upgrade later.

Max1237

Visit site
I’d say the Callaway would be best of those two. The Titleist would be good quality too but that model would be pretty unforgiving from what I know. Would be designed for very good low handicap players. Maybe some others here could advice further
Ah right ok, are the callaways quite forgiving? I don’t want to get frustrated with a set.