help needed

rags1200

Visit site
Help.....having been golfing now for nearly a year using donnay evoulution set of irons thought it was time for a change so on a friends advice went out and bought some s300 mizuno mx 23 irons,having played for the past few weekends my self esteem and confidence has been obliterated gone from playing in the low 90"s to 110-115 dunno whats goin on...are the stiff shafts not giving me any feedback...?? or was going steel shafted the wrong way to go...?? my donnays were oversized and very forgiving but the shafts were very rubbery like if you know what i mean...shall i percevere with the mx 23"s or go for regular shafted mx 17"s......any advice would be gratefully received...alex.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You'll need to tell the boffins on here a few things like your age, gender and so on. These things will impact what you should be using.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Assume your old irons were Reg graphite flex by what your saying? Big jump to go from reg graphite to S300 in my opinion. Did your m8 not suggest to go and get fitted prior to splashing your cash?

I would suggest going to a range or fitting centre and getting some data from Trackman and somebody who knows what they are doing.May mean you find out your swing is not suited for S300 and you've wasted some cash but better that than hacking around with irons you haven't a hope in hell of hitting.

Andy

rags1200

Visit site
rekon im gonna go to american golf preston next weekend got proper fitting centre and see how it goes from there...my mates been playing for few years low handicap so he prob thought he was giving me some good advice....wish i started golf years ago..?? thanks for the advice

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Your best going to an independant fitter or store rather than AG.

If your in preston there are a few in the area, een your local pro should be able to help you out.

A lot of stores not just AG, adjust the settings on the fitting gear to improve the reading to impress you. Your pro would rather you stay at that club/range, by giving you the right kit to keep you wanting to play you'll spend more time where he is. Makes sense to stay local.

Also do you know your swing speed, ball speed, average distances for 3Wood, 6iron, Pitching Wedge. With this info there are a few people on this forum who'd be able to give you sound impartial advice.

Good luck whatever you go with, you never know you might just need the loft / lie altered on your new clubs.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
MX23 is a pretty good game improvement iron, but I agree that the S300 shafts could be the problem. The shafts in the Donnay were almost certainly significantly softer and lighter. You may be able to handle the S300, but it might take some time to adjust. But if they are too stiff and heavy, no real option but to get rid. Too expensive to reshaft and not worth spending that sort of dough on the MX23.

How far did you hit a 7 iron with the old set? and now?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
MX23 is a pretty good game improvement iron, but I agree that the S300 shafts could be the problem. The shafts in the Donnay were almost certainly significantly softer and lighter.

Tend to agree with Ethan.
I stupidly purchased a brand new set of Callaway irons off of an ebay seller about 3 years ago. Fancied a new set of "shinies" and didn't take into account the shafts, which were S300's. After my previous graphite shafted clubs they felt like pokers in my hand and were giving no feedback whatsoever. I have a fairly slow swingspeed and they were way too stiff for me.
That's where I would say the problem lies.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Avoid AG. They are bloody hopeless.

Andy

I disagree with your statement andy,only because it depends which one you go to,and the pro reputation for fitting.They certainly have enough equipment to show you what they are trying to achieve,im definately pleased with my purchase.Only my oppinion of course not everyone is going to be happy,as you would expect as they probably see hundreds a year.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your AG (or DG) has a coaching set-up attached with a PGA qualified instructor, then speak to him directly. You take your cheque book in hand dealing with undertrained shop assistants, which is what you are otherwise likely to get.

When you do get a fit, prepare for your ego to take a bashing. Not everybody swings at 100 mph, or hits 300

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just acquired a set of MX23s switching from a semi blade. I'd say the MX23 were a good club for any standard of player. Plenty of forgiveness but also a nice looking club with plenty of potential as you get better. Lovely Mizuno feel too. My theory is you learn to hit what you've got and although not as forgiving as some the 23's will encourage a good strike imho. After all, us olduns all learned to play with blades as that was all there was back in the day.

I'd agree with others that it's more likely to be the shaft that's an issue. If the Donnays were very flexible you'll find S300s feel very stiff. It's still a popular shaft on Tour (Luke Donald uses it) so may not be right for a new player.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with Pokerjoke dont tar all AGs with the same brush some of them have good teaching Pros working in the shops and they give excellent service.