Help..Lost my swing right before club champs.

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm in a right mess at the moment with my game mentally. I am at rock bottom confidence wise with my game and I am struggling with a big pull draw with all club's which turns to a snap hook with driver.
I've got our club champs this weekend 36 holes over two days. I played in the monthly medal last weekend which was one of my worse medal rounds ever and as such have been going to the range every day so far this week to try and work it out which after about 175 balls is resulting in even worse results due to me messing with my swing.
I'm at a loss as to whata the best thing to do. Should I keep hitting balls at the range until Saturday, have a lesson, get on the course instead of the range or just lay off until Saturday morning and see what the day brings? I've even considered playing 9 on a different course Saturday morning to try and quash the first tee nerves and losses up after seeing Bobmac recommend this last year before club champs.

Any advice welcomed guys.

Cheers

Jon.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I could easily get a quick lesson in with the pro before Saturday.
This I would print your post out, give it to the pro and just say” sort me back to basics” .
Its usually something really simple , but when you start to self diagnose you can confuse yourself very easily.

good luck.

I had a very similar thing one lesson ( I was swinging to flat) it’s sorted!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lesson is the obvious answer as it is most likely something small which could be diagnosed pretty quickly.

Go back to basics- grip and setup. Make sure they are all correct. I know when I started to pull and hook my shots it was all down to my grip and stance far too closed. Setup to the ball at the range and lay your club at your feet. Check to see where your body is aiming.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A pull/hook is often caused by the fear of hitting a pull/hook.
Your body stops turning on the downswing, your hands and arms flip round and overtake your body and hit it straight left/hook.
If you turn hard through impact, your arms/club won't overtake you and it should go straighter. It may even go a bit right if you overdo it.

This may not be your problem. It could be a change in grip, body alignment, rushed transition etc.
If this doesn't help, see your pro but explain about the Club Champs.

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. Bobmac I think you are correct about me not continuing to turn through impact. I can almost feel myself stall and throw my hands at it. My weight is hanging back too. Could ball position being too far forward be an issue too?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. Bobmac I think you are correct about me not continuing to turn through impact. I can almost feel myself stall and throw my hands at it. My weight is hanging back too. Could ball position being too far forward be an issue too?

I don't think so, in fact it may even help you to get forward off your back foot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This I would print your post out, give it to the pro and just say” sort me back to basics” .
Its usually something really simple , but when you start to self diagnose you can confuse yourself very easily.

good luck.

I had a very similar thing one lesson ( I was swinging to flat) it’s sorted!

This for me. Go get a quick, professional diagnosis and stop second guessing. It'll be a simple fix, you can hit a number of balls to drill the fix and maybe take it to the course for a few holes. Hope you get it sorted and you can find something that works at the weekend

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Same boat no idea where I'm hitting it, gone from wanting to be better to wanting to quit !! then 83 at Beau hit it everywhere then I'd had enough and hardy drinl these days. I got very merry Wednesday night and forgot how bad my game was, shot the worse number it could have been +1

relax don't expect anything and free yourself up, if you've had it before and lately it will come back just as fast as it went. MIND GAMES

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers everyone. I've not had a lesson but have been working hard this week to sort things out one way or another. On Wednesday I played 9 and dropped the ball back in my stance a couple of inches and it made a big difference to my game and I knocked it round well. So confidence went up slightly. I have been doubting my driver for some time due to me overdrawing the ball and using a ping g sft head. It's not helping and sitting closed at address does not suit my eye. So on Thursday I went for a custom fit on gc2 with hmt. It opened my eyes to my current swing and I was going the wrong way in thinking how I was trying to fix it. I was swinging between 8 - 10 from the inside. He gave me a for pointers but I said let me put my cut swing on it and see how the goes. My cut swing was still 3 from the inside but it was much more controllable and a slight push cut which after what's been going on on course I'd take all day long. I ended up fit into an M4 and walked out hopeful. I have just played 9 again and the drives are beautiful with the cut swing and new driver. Start it slightly left and it fades back to target perfectly with a great flight. I'm back and I'm up for tomorrow now.
What a difference a week makes.

Thanks again guys.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Good to hear, stick in find a way. No pictures on the scorecard :)

my fav is the cut stringer get me in the fairway mode under pressure over smashing it miles offline when feeling anxious. Go well in the club champs