HELP - Iron Swing

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hello All,

Slightly embarrassed to post this vid but....

I wanted to ask for some advice regarding my swing. This is by no means happening every time, but I found it happened maybe 3 or 4 times yesterday off the tee and I am struggling to know how and why this has occurred.

I am new to golf and have played for the past 4 months, I am around 40 over consistently now, but keen to break the 100 mark asap.

My friend says I may be swinging too hard with my right arm / putting too much force in? I think that could be an issue, but I am just starting out so I am guessing there are plenty of problem points! The contact is good, the direction not so much!

[video=youtube_share;EgBEeHc9WAY]http://youtu.be/EgBEeHc9WAY[/video]

Keen to hear your views.

Thanks!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The club face is extremely closed going back. You are also swinging very much to the left. I Can't be sure but I think I can see a very strong right hand (not how hard you are holding it, is it turned around under the handle. Ie to the right? )

These two things together would cause that pull shot.

If straight down the target line is 12. In that swing, at impact your clubhead is exiting at 10 o'clock. Try to swing a little more to the right, say 1 o clock.

You can try this and dramatically change your shot shape. alternatively id go see a pro and get some lessons. There is the basis of a very good swing in there with a few fundamental set up changes.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The club face is extremely closed going back. You are also swinging very much to the left. I Can't be sure but I think I can see a very strong right hand (not how hard you are holding it, is it turned around under the handle. Ie to the right? )

These two things together would cause that pull shot.

If straight down the target line is 12. In that swing, at impact your clubhead is exiting at 10 o'clock. Try to swing a little more to the right, say 1 o clock.

You can try this and dramatically change your shot shape. alternatively id go see a pro and get some lessons. There is the basis of a very good swing in there with a few fundamental set up changes.

OK, yes, I can see myself coming out to the left quite a bit. Good to know it's a case of changing my set up a little. I think the right arm is probably leading things a little too much as well / trying to hard. I will try practicing swinging out to the right a little more and see how that works for me. iPhone 6 has slow-mo feature which is great. Frustratingly in my round yesterday I didn't record the one's that went straight, so I think that would be useful to compare. I either do the above shot with irons off the tee, or it goes straight. Doesn't seem to be much other variation.

Thank you so much for your help.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The camera angle isn't the best. Maybe get him to stand directly behind you inline with where you are aiming plus one from a side on view helps immensely.

Glad to got over the embarrassment of posting your swing. Everyone feels a little self conscious about it but the rewards usually outweigh it.

Throw up some more so we can see the changes. Good luck. :thup:

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The camera angle isn't the best. Maybe get him to stand directly behind you inline with where you are aiming plus one from a side on view helps immensely.

Glad to got over the embarrassment of posting your swing. Everyone feels a little self conscious about it but the rewards usually outweigh it.

Throw up some more so we can see the changes. Good luck. :thup:

Will do. I will try and get some of the good ones on there as well, so we can compare. Thank you!

Any other opinions welcome!!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No probs. I enjoy watching new golfers swing development. Keep posting :thup:

Bob and the coach will be of most help to you!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any other opinions welcome!!!

watch closely around second 17 - you clearly start your downswing from the top rather than from the ground up. the obvious impact of this is that your hands have to move outside to get round your hips which leads to the right to left swing path through impact - if you didn't have the closed club face (which you have probably created to compensate) the result would be a weak slice.

start by continuing to do exactly what you currently do but change the order - at the top of the backswing make your first move with your legs/hips before the shoulders. this should feel completely different through impact and produce a completely different ball flight!

from there you can review club face etc.

one other small point - you look as if you have your weight on your heels at address. this may be an illusion but there are other things in the swing that suggest you aren't really as stable/on balance as you need to be and you might benefit from reviewing this position too.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
watch closely around second 17 - you clearly start your downswing from the top rather than from the ground up. the obvious impact of this is that your hands have to move outside to get round your hips which leads to the right to left swing path through impact - if you didn't have the closed club face (which you have probably created to compensate) the result would be a weak slice.

start by continuing to do exactly what you currently do but change the order - at the top of the backswing make your first move with your legs/hips before the shoulders. this should feel completely different through impact and produce a completely different ball flight!

from there you can review club face etc.

one other small point - you look as if you have your weight on your heels at address. this may be an illusion but there are other things in the swing that suggest you aren't really as stable/on balance as you need to be and you might benefit from reviewing this position too.

That's a really interesting point Duncan, and actually something I need to be more aware of. I often do try to rotate the hips / legs first, but have never had the presence of mind to make sure I am doing it every single time if that makes sense? Nor have I had the presence of mind to see if that has been the difference between my good swings or bad swings. At the moment there seems to be so much to focus on, that I often go in and out of looking at certain things which means other areas suffer! :) All part of the fun!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The "Levers" talk here should help:

[video=youtube;tChaKgJML3U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tChaKgJML3U&list=UUZelGnfKLXic4gDP63dIRxw&index=227[/video]

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So the coach PM'd me some advice, particularly around grip and below is the result.

The new grip helped massively. Now I need to work on where my feet are and direction. This one was spot on, but others were still wrong direction to where I thought. Out to the right a little.

Also, welcome to any other suggestions / advice!!!!

[video=youtube_share;6a0gkYxQucQ]http://youtu.be/6a0gkYxQucQ[/video]