Help in Fairway Hybrid Setup

Do you allow cargo-type shorts anywhere?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Miander

Hacker
Visit site
HI Everyone, im new here, but I wonder if I can ask for some assistance / opinions

I have been playing golf since May 2010, I'm a 20 handicapper, and everything until now was all second hand gear.

Last week I went for a fitting for a new driver, due to my G15 10.5 Stiff ballooning quite a bit.

I knew what kind of clubs I wanted to try, which was the R11 and The 910 D2, with a direct comparison to the 9 deg G15 aswell. The results were amazing, I was fitted with a 9deg (set on 8) R11 TP mitsubishi diamana kai'li shaft 70g Stiff with the club face set to open.

I was dubious as this was the most expensive club I tested but the numbers on Flight scope were impressive. So I bought it!

So I played with it for the first time yesterday and the results were astounding. The ball flew further with a far more penetrating ball flight, and further (though not as far as the computer software said I would over the g15 10.5)

I have now decided to replace the 3 and 5 wood G15 TFC Stiff shaft clubs with the same setup, to help with the same issue, as I think I have a reasonable club speed avg around 105 mph.

I was wondering what you opinions on this would be on these setups. as i cannot decide on the optimum. I want these to last me ,longer term rather than become a club hore!

Setup 1

3 wood, 15.5 degrees (new)

5 wood, 18.5 degrees (new)

4 iron (g15) 23 degrees

or Setup 2

3 wood, 15.5 degrees (new)

5 wood, 18.5 degrees (new)

Rescue 11, 21 set on 20 degrees (new)

Remove the 4 iron.

or

or Setup 3

3 wood 15.5 degrees (new)

Rescue 11, 18 degrees (new)

4 iron (g15) 23 degrees

I cannot decide on which way to go. Im going for another custom fitting on Friday, to test them, out along with the 910 Fairway and rescues. Any opinons appreciated

Thanks

Brian

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum.
I'm afraid without seeing your swing it would be pointless to advise you on which choice you should make.

It would be like you asking us what your favourite colour should be.

The only way you will know is to try them yourself and see. Do you hit the 4 iron well?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi and welcome Brian.

Your fitting will tell you more, but I found that there wasn't enough distance between a 3 and 5 wood to make it worthwhile carrying both so I went with 3 wood and 19deg hybrid, although I had a 3 iron as well.

As Bob said, it's next to impossible us trying to tell you what you should do other than at your fitting see how far the 3 wood goes (if you definitely want a 3 wood), see how far your 4 iron goes, then find what club(s) best fill the gap inbetween.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see some grouping in those choices, I am looking to buy this soon:

Driver
5-wood 18.5* lower flight shaft
22* Hybrid
4i

the reason being my 5 wood flies higher than a 3 but goes aboutt the same and is more controlled. The 22* Hybrid has a longer shaft but similar loft to the 4 iron and travels about half way between the two clubs and retains a good flight.

The point being its not always about loft degree matching, shaft length plays a big part so try and give yourself a good range of distances rather than lofts when choosing three clubs over the iron/hybrid/wood range.

I think 1 has a huge gap between 5 wood and iron

2 has a two clubs closely grouped (5 wood and hybrid) and a big gap between hybrid and 5 iron

3 has a big gap between hybrid and 4i

of course here I am assuming shaft lenghts are quite different and are making a big difference in your game.

The only way to find out if you have two clubs performing too similar or have a huge gap is either on a good shot analysis machine or through experience on the course.

Miander

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the feedback

I hit the 4 iron ok. thing is i dont use it very often, mainly because i hit the 5 wood. or the distances left dont warrent it.
The 3 wood is a certain, i must have that, and i currently have a 5 wood, and to be honest use it more than a 4 iron, as i try not to hit it too hard, i think that is mainly a confidence thing rather than i cannot hit it.

off the deck i mainly use the 5 wood, but latley i have tried to use the 4 iron, which i did the weekend passed which was from about 180 -190 yards out and put it 10ft away.. which i was happy with.
I think the reasoning behind the 3 /5 wood then a hybrid is because i can alter the lofts. the g15 4 iron loft is 23 and the 5 iron is 26, so really having a 3wood (15.5) 5 wood (18.5) Hybrid 4 (21) set on 20.. i would leave 6 degrees to a 5 iron...so a 4 iron would be ok (23). then i would have to drop a wedge (currently carrying pw (45) Gap (52) Sw(54) 60 wedge

All too confusing. I guess i see what the numbers are when hitting the 5 wood and hybrid, and take my 4 iron too to compair distances.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
then i would have to drop a wedge (currently carrying pw (45) Gap (52) Sw(54) 60 wedge

All too confusing. I guess i see what the numbers are when hitting the 5 wood and hybrid, and take my 4 iron too to compair distances.

Do compare the distances, shaft length affects distance and its very easy to forget all the other contributing factors!

I would suggest dropping the 60 and 54 wedges and getting one 56 which would give you a good selection.

Depending on your course having lots of bounce in the 56 would be desirable to help the club to avoid digging. If you need to do flop shots a lot off tight lies then bring back the 60 when needed. I find in those situations you generally can drop the 52 wedge and pitch it instead of a full shot as the ground is running enough to allow this.

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a 8.5 degree driver, 13degree 3 wood and 16 degree 5 wood, and then a 3 iron around 19/20 degrees.

from yoru list i like set up 2, but it really depends what works for you..

Miander

Hacker
Visit site
I actually went for setup 2 in the end, it just felt better, and the stats sort of worked out in the end with regards to distances./