Help For A Newbie Please

Visit site
Happy New Year!!

I have recently 'got into' golf in a reasonably big way. At 41 I guess it's better late than never?!

My father-in-law is offering me his set of King Cobra 2 Tour graphite shafted oversize clubs (irons 3-9,PW,SW & 1,3&5Ti drivers). I have no idea what they're like (are they any good?), how much I should offer him for them and general suitability, etc?

I would really value thoughts & comments (or anything else you think might be interesting about the set) from seasoned forumites to help the newbie. :D

Many Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
HNY and welcome.

If you're a beginner then I'd have them as a starter set. Fairly old now but as long as they're in decent nick they'll get you onto the first rung of the very long ladder.

As you improve you'll want to change them to a model more suited to your new ability but for now I think they'll do fine.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Some independent reviews here...

http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/cobra/PRD_60724_2940crx.aspx

They don't "read" too badly and, as Imurg points out above, they will suit you fine until you really get the bug and like most of us think a brand new set of clubs will turn you into a golfing God!.... :D :D :D
They are certainly a lot better than the crap I started playing with 25 years ago
;)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they are the King Cobra II (oversize) from the late 1990s, I'd suggest not parting with too much for them. They're OK, but if you get into the game in a big way, I can't see you sticking with them. They are not a good choice for a beginner, but as everyone else has said, no reason to not get out and enjoy the game.

As a side tale, I bought a 2 iron of this design on the recommendation of a pro in a chain golf shop (no longer exists). I showed it to my pro, who asked if I'd been offered any other choices. I took it back and swapped it for a Callaway Big Bertha 2 iron, which I used for years.
Absolutely no comparison.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
An ideal set to get you started I'd say. What I would suggest though is a few lessons as well to make sure you have the solid foundations of the swing in place. Much easier to learn with no bad habits already ingrained

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your feedback & suggestions

The good news is that he's given them to me with his bag and trolley too - All for free!! What a great bloke he is!

Everything seems to be in good condition so now i'm looking forward to some warmer weather so that I can give them a go!!
Cheers! :cool:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your feedback & suggestions

The good news is that he's given them to me with his bag and trolley too - All for free!! What a great bloke he is!

Everything seems to be in good condition so now i'm looking forward to some warmer weather so that I can give them a go!!
Cheers! :cool:

Get them on ebay quick before he changes his mind. ;)