A few - probably silly - newbie questions!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I'm still a bit confused about wedges in general, and what sort of shots require which type of wedge!

For example, if I had my PW (43 deg), another wedge (50 deg) and my SW (55 deg), in what sort of situation would I use each of these wedges? I'm guessing I would use the PW when furthest from the green, as I presume the lower loft will equate to more distance, and the 50deg wedge/sand wedge when closer to the green and/or in a bunker

Learning the "short" game is one of the hardest but most fun things in golf. It requires skill and imagination.

For full shots just know your distances and treat your wedges like any other club. In my case PW = 100 yards, GW is 85 and SW is 75.

Basically the choices really start when you are nearer to the hole than the distance you hit with a full SW. From there on in it is really a question of what sort of shot you want to hit. Do you want to fly it high or low? How much do you want it to (or do you think it will) run? Some people find it easier to adjust to hit a half PW or GW than finesse a three-quarter SW.

As you get closer you get more choices - flop shot (high floating shot), chip and run etc. Some people like to play all their shots near the green with the same club (e.g. sand wedge) and control flight, spin, run, etc with ball position and swing speed, others like to use different clubs depending on whether they want to run the ball in or fly it closer.

Course conditions will also be a factor. Soft greens (e.g in the winter) require the ball to be lobbed in more. Hard greens (like at a links course in summer) will require a shot which runs more. Also when it's windy you will want to be able to play a shot which flies lower so it isn't affected by the wind as much.

I'd certainly recommend a lesson dedicated to this part of the game. You don't often see a good player who doesn't have a good short game.

A par 3 course is an excellent place to hone your short game.

In answer to your earlier question a pitch is a fullish shot which flies most of the way and is usually played with a wedge; a chip is a shorter shot which runs most of the way and can be played with anything from a SW to a hybrid.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Learning the "short" game is one of the hardest but most fun things in golf. It requires skill and imagination.

For full shots just know your distances and treat your wedges like any other club. In my case PW = 100 yards, GW is 85 and SW is 75.

Basically the choices really start when you are nearer to the hole than the distance you hit with a full SW. From there on in it is really a question of what sort of shot you want to hit. Do you want to fly it high or low? How much do you want it to (or do you think it will) run? Some people find it easier to adjust to hit a half PW or GW than finesse a three-quarter SW.

As you get closer you get more choices - flop shot (high floating shot), chip and run etc. Some people like to play all their shots near the green with the same club (e.g. sand wedge) and control flight, spin, run, etc with ball position and swing speed, others like to use different clubs depending on whether they want to run the ball in or fly it closer.

Course conditions will also be a factor. Soft greens (e.g in the winter) require the ball to be lobbed in more. Hard greens (like at a links course in summer) will require a shot which runs more. Also when it's windy you will want to be able to play a shot which flies lower so it isn't affected by the wind as much.

I'd certainly recommend a lesson dedicated to this part of the game. You don't often see a good player who doesn't have a good short game.

A par 3 course is an excellent place to hone your short game.

In answer to your earlier question a pitch is a fullish shot which flies most of the way and is usually played with a wedge; a chip is a shorter shot which runs most of the way and can be played with anything from a SW to a hybrid.

Thanks, all really helpful and useful information!

I have a two hour lesson on Tuesday which is a group lesson just to cover the basics, stance, basic swing mechanics, pitching, chipping, putting all at a (presumably) very basic level. Then I'm going to book a set of 1 on 1 lessons.

I actually really like the idea of working on my short game, I see people at the range just hitting drive after drive after drive and focusing purely on max distance but you don't need to be a genius to realise that the games seem to be won and lost on the short game. I've only watched one full tourney (The Open) and it's obvious that the quality of the short game is incredibly important - as Poulter demonstrated last Sunday!

I've even been putting in the living room as we have a short, smooth carpet - making a "hole" between two chair legs! The other half isn't too pleased about it though :D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The other half isn't too pleased

TIP of the iceberg....

Group lessons are great for pretty much all levels, I would suggest going to as many as possible.

1 on 1 lessons are good too, try and sneak in an on course "playing lesson" too after a while.

One last thing, good golf comes from a robust game plan appropriate to your level, try looking at this for when you head out onto the course. As long as your short game is coming along nicely it should help with the rest. http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?51871-Trying-to-break-100-The-3-Goals-Method

Looks like you will be a practiser like me, I spend HOURS on the putting green and at the short game area, 50 yards and under makes a huge difference to your scores.

Just remember pretty much any golfer can hit three 150 yard shots up a par 5 and get close to the green but if you don't have a good short game you will not get the ball down in 2-3 from within the last 100 yards to make your nett birdie or par!

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks, great advice!

I'm chuffed, I've just found out one of my local golf courses is offering 2 x FREE 1 hr group lessons with no obligation, so have booked in for those!

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thornbury is a great course and club. I'd love to join if it wasn't for the 30-40 minute drive to get there. One of our forum members (Aztecs27) was a member there until last year and we've had some forum meets there.

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Good luck with your first few steps into golf, used to play a bit at Thornbury and really enjoyed it...lovely opening hole with that tricky tree int he middle. Was a member at The Bristol by Cribbs Causway... really like it. It got taken over by a Crown Golf, a managment company so not sure how it is now..

I wouldn't bother swapping out your SW or anything like that...stick with your PW and SW, you'll learn to hit inbetween distances and then once you've got a bit more experience you will be better informed about what you need.

As for the driver... short games is really key...but you won't lose any balls (or many at least!) on the green. I read an interesting article in a rival magazine and heard something similar on a podcast that most high handicappers actually should be looking at their tee shots (so the first shot on each hole). One of the big differences between high and low handicappers is hitting the fairway and hitting greens... mind you there are thousands of opinions out there!!!

Having said all that... My advice, find a decent pro who you get on with and that you trust what they are saying... listen to their advice, ignore pretty much everything else or at least take it with a pich of salt, including my post!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agree - just get used to hitting various shots - far too soon to start worrying about your clubs. Learn to use what you have - learn to adapt how you use them for different shots. And personally - try and not to get to many fixed ideas about 'it's this distance or this is in the way sio it must be this club or this type of shot. With golf you need to understand your mental strengths and weaknesses; you need to teach your imagination, and of course you have to learn the mechanics.

Have fun - welcome to your very own never-ending journey to where you do not actually, and may never, know. Along the way you will get lost and hurt, stumble and fall. But a good samaratin will pick you up and dust you down - your recovery is assured and there is always light...

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thornbury is a great course and club. I'd love to join if it wasn't for the 30-40 minute drive to get there. One of our forum members (Aztecs27) was a member there until last year and we've had some forum meets there.

Yeah it's not exactly local to me, I'm the other side of town - it's about a 20-25 minute drive for me, Stockwood is closer and seems like quite a nice course for when I get good enough to play a proper course!

btw - there is a Filton member regularly on here so if you speak nicely to him... :)

Ah, thanks for the tip!

Good luck with your first few steps into golf, used to play a bit at Thornbury and really enjoyed it...lovely opening hole with that tricky tree int he middle. Was a member at The Bristol by Cribbs Causway... really like it. It got taken over by a Crown Golf, a managment company so not sure how it is now..

I wouldn't bother swapping out your SW or anything like that...stick with your PW and SW, you'll learn to hit inbetween distances and then once you've got a bit more experience you will be better informed about what you need.

As for the driver... short games is really key...but you won't lose any balls (or many at least!) on the green. I read an interesting article in a rival magazine and heard something similar on a podcast that most high handicappers actually should be looking at their tee shots (so the first shot on each hole). One of the big differences between high and low handicappers is hitting the fairway and hitting greens... mind you there are thousands of opinions out there!!!

Having said all that... My advice, find a decent pro who you get on with and that you trust what they are saying... listen to their advice, ignore pretty much everything else or at least take it with a pich of salt, including my post!!

Thanks - yeah I'm not looking at buying any more clubs at the moment, just trying to broaden my knowledge on the different types and options really!

Think I'm going to stick to learning to use the irons properly and master the basic swing before I think about trying to buy and use a driver. A friend of mine who is very good is giving me a little playing lesson at the driving range/short course tonight so that should be a good step in the right direction! Then I have 2 free group lessons at Thornbury in Aug and then will probably have a few solo lessons with a pro!

Agree - just get used to hitting various shots - far too soon to start worrying about your clubs. Learn to use what you have - learn to adapt how you use them for different shots. And personally - try and not to get to many fixed ideas about 'it's this distance or this is in the way sio it must be this club or this type of shot. With golf you need to understand your mental strengths and weaknesses; you need to teach your imagination, and of course you have to learn the mechanics.

Have fun - welcome to your very own never-ending journey to where you do not actually, and may never, know. Along the way you will get lost and hurt, stumble and fall. But a good samaratin will pick you up and dust you down - your recovery is assured and there is always light...

Thanks, yeah I agree I'm definitely sticking with the gear I have at the moment and not getting bogged down in equipment! I really want to get my swing consistently giving me a nice clean contact with the ball, that's the first small step!

Thanks for all your helpful pointers everyone! :)