Help! Changed shafts and developed a hook!?!?

Visit site
Hi,

going to try and keep this short!

ive always used regular shafts ever since I started playing golf and people have always said I have a pretty quick swing and should be using stiffer shafts! 6ft 2 with golf shoes on 29 yrs.

so I decided to make the change, I didn't get fitted.... and have bought a new nike vrs driver, 3 wood and 18 deg hybrid all with stiff shafts off the shelf.

Over the past couple of years with my reg shafts that were pretty floppy if anything I have had to control a fade but most of the time they would be straight due to me controlling my swing speed! (Slowing it down)

now with my new vrs's I am drawing the ball with an aggressive hook with the driver?
i have never hooked the ball in my life!!
any help would be much appreciated

thanks rich :confused:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Driver is adjustable, I believe.

It may be set to a Draw setting that isn't appropriate to you.

So check the settings.

You could also be swinging a bit more aggressively - particularly with the hips.

It's often just a case of modifying your swing slightly. Whether that cures or introduces any faults is a boit of a coin toss!

And your Pro could well be worth contacting too!

Visit site
Hi,
thanks for the reply,

ive changed the settings and even set it to open but still hook!

after 200 balls I have really had to adjust my swing feels like I'm going to hit it way right but the hybrid was going straight in the end!

ive browsed online and a couple of forum posts have said that over the years with the reg shaft I have been adjusting my swing to keep it going straight.

so now fitted with a stiffer more fitting shaft my swing is creating a hideous draw!

hopefully that is correct and I just need to adjust back to a more conventional swing.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I can't see it being just the shaft to be honest and I defiantly wouldn't create a swing to suit a shaft. If it continues I would have a lesson.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
First of all, the fact that shafts say 'regular' on them doesn't mean they are comparable. There is no standard for flex, and there are a range of other variables which affect the flex and playing characteristics of a shaft. All other things being equal, a shaft which makes you hit the ball more hooky than before is likely to be too soft and or too light, but there may be a more complicated reason. Too little torque and/or too much tip stiffness can cause this in a player with a lot of hand action. More torque and or less tip stiffness can allow the clubhead to hang a bit more open. I know this, because that was me.

Best thing is to ask a pro to take a look and do some measurements on a LM. There m,ay be some changes you can make to the club that offset it (adding weight for example), or trimming the shaft.