Help - can't stop coming over the top

slamster

Visit site
slicing driver and pulling short irons - with out to in divot. I'm pretty sure i'm throwing the club as I've only recently started playing golf. Just can't work out how not to do it ie what drills etc.
Any advice on specific drills would be good.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Set two balls up, one you want to hit and one approx 2-3 inches behind but on the outside of the ball ie down the line you would attack from if you were throwing it at the top...

Now hit the first ball making sure you miss the second one.

I'd start with half swings as you may get a few where you clip the second ball.

NOTE -ONLY DO THIS ON A RANGE THAT ISNT MAJORLY BUSY!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What worked for me was to slow everything down and not try to thrash the ball. I practised getting to the top of the swing and start the downswing with a small hip turn and only allowing the arms to come down, so no shoulder turn back. Keep watching the ball right through impact and I found that the shoulders squared better as I wasn't "throwing" the right shoulder at the start of the downswing which, in turn, throws the club head out and promotes the dreaded out to in swing path

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it has just been a case of slowing everything down. I still come over the top slightly but my shot shape is much more predictable. Getting it in play more and scoring a lot better.

Also i had a positioning problem with my right elbow. It would fly out and up away from the body which was causing me to take the club off plane and id then start down off plane. im working on getting the right position with it. My irons are fine but driver upwards i cant get it. Too much of a slice which has now turned in to a nice wee fade unless i swing to fast and too armsy.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think OTT swings often result from too much (or too early) upper body and too little (or too late) lower.

Try making a definite lower body movement to start the downswing and that may help the upper body part of the swing to sequence properly. If you start the downswing with the shoulders, you'll never get the legs to move fast enough.

slamster

Visit site
Cheers for all the comments - slowing things down makes sense. I do start the downswing with my hips - laterally then anti-clockwise, so I reckon I must be throwing out the club. I'll give it a go at the range tomorrow.

Cheers again.