Hello again, it's been a while (sorry, long post!)

NobbyNobbs

Hacker
Visit site
Hello all,
I did a quick search looking for my previous posts, and they've gone, so it must have been a year at least! Been keeping a regular eye on the forum, tho', lurker is the word!

It's 2 years now since I first swung a club, starting with friends and my lady, full of enthusiasm and optimism, and delusions of grandeur, and thought i'd let you know how it's been going.

In reality, many of those who started with me have fallen away, including my lady sadly, and the first 18 months were slow going for me, trying to find both the time and money to play, as well as dealing with the expectation that comes from a good round (by my standards), followed by the head and heart drop on the following round as the score rises!

All the while though, I've been falling more in love with the game. Living down the road, for the last 2 years my lady and I have been to wentworth, and it was interesting to note that each time, the following round I recorded pb's myself. Watching how it's done properly, (and so apparently easy!) is an education. It also helped keep my expectation in check.
(The first time we went, we parked in Scotland it felt like, and had to walk miles to get to the course. On the way, we found ourselves at a distant tee, no-one around except 3 pro's, caddys etc, and watched our first live golf ever. All 3 then sliced their drives horribly right into the trees.. I felt much better)

My local course is a 9 hole par 35, more than enough for me, quiet, friendly and affordable, and this year they made an offer I couldn't refuse! Off peak summer membership, tee-off after 12, 7 days a week from 1st April to 30th September, with 4 hours with my pro to use however you want, for £250!!! 
It was such a good offer that my buddy, dad and mum also joined. 
As you can imagine, I've since played quite a bit of golf.
Been struggling to break 100, never go near over 18, tho' regularly get mid-40's over 9, but then I bought new clubs.. 

My first round with my JPX800's was 107, followed by a pleasing 104 at Arden's Aylesbury on a work day (my new superfast driver even made me look good on the 1st tee, which helps the old confidence no end!)
But then it happened. 18 at my place, twice round. Opening 6 over 41, (ecstatic!), followed by a back nine 49 for my first time under 100. 

Haven't managed it since, mind, but moving on from the starter set at his point feels like the best thing I could have done. The clubs can't make my swing better, that I know, but there's something to be said for me just feeling more 'proper', and feeling the difference of a well made piece of kit.

Anyway, I could go on, but this has become a bit of an essay! Well done if you lasted this long! I'm saying hello again as I now have a modern phone thing, and am checking the forum wherever I want, which is nice. I often feel like contributing, always like the sound of the meets when you all chat about them, and hope to ask your advice here and there. 
Thanks for listening, 
Craig

NobbyNobbs

Hacker
Visit site
Hello there homer, I've joined Hazelwood in Sunbury, a quiet, friendly place! It's a concern at the moment that London Irish are trying to buy it to turn into a training ground, I think. The local residents are trying to stop it. Sods law, join something that may not be there next year...

My work has now moved from Camberley to Heathrow, so Pine Ridge / Downshire etc are no longer on my doorstep, as it were.

Thanks for the (2nd) hello chaps. I intend to stick around this time!

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Welcome back Nobby,

It would appear we not only share geography, Hazelwood is the range I use, but a similar taste in literature.

Have you had lessons with Warren?