Heebi Jeebies

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I pass Hamish MacInnes' old cottage in Glencoe I get shivers thinking that Saville owned it. :cautious::cautious:
Same with me...don't know if it is NT owned but surely it should have been knocked down........irrespectice of it's [probable] protected status.

I used to know a couple of guys in the music industry. They told me about Saville and another well known comic actor at that time.
It was around 1971/2. It was well known but somehow he was 'well protected'.

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone done something in the past that gives them the Heebe Jeebies

Not something I did but something that was done to me. Doing 70ish up the A1 when someone from the opposite carriageway decided to turn right in front of me (across my path). They clearly hadn't looked properly. I had to take some pretty swift evasive action and I missed them by inches. If, at that moment, I'd glanced at the radio it would have been game over. I still think about it from time to time. Small margins.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I turn on the television, the President of the United States is speaking, and I know that I'll never get five minutes alone with him.
Actually, a minute or two would be enough. We're the same age, he's physically larger than I am, so it's not an unreasonable ask.

Wolf

Visit site
Not something I did but something that was done to me. Doing 70ish up the A1 when someone from the opposite carriageway decided to turn right in front of me (across my path). They clearly hadn't looked properly. I had to take some pretty swift evasive action and I missed them by inches. If, at that moment, I'd glanced at the radio it would have been game over. I still think about it from time to time. Small margins.
We had similar last summer going down the A1 we were heading past Stoke Rochford but on opposite carriage when some gimp went right across us causing me to slam on then he went straight across the oncoming North bound traffic causing all other traffic to hit the breaks, how nobody hit him i still don't know. Turning across the carriageways should be banned..

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same with me...don't know if it is NT owned but surely it should have been knocked down........irrespectice of it's [probable] protected status.

I used to know a couple of guys in the music industry. They told me about Saville and another well known comic actor at that time.
It was around 1971/2. It was well known but somehow he was 'well protected'.
Yes, here in Leeds he had a reputation back then..... incredible how he could deflect from it... but I guess we've see similar happening more recently.... if you've a certain position in society, anything is possible in that respect.
I see it sold in 2014, for double the asking price but can't find out to who or whats happened to it since. I doubt it will be demolished now & hope, as you suggest it's a museum or such to Hamish who's memory, within 'The-coe family', will far outweigh that of Saville's. In the 70's was a landmark for us traveling up from Leeds for winter climbing before camping lower down the valley near the Clachaig Inn.... great memories & always happy to return alive!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Irish Catholic parish priest, May 1977. I didn't set foot in a Catholic church from that day till I went to a friend's funeral in 95, and then not till my mum's funeral in 2009. I dodged the bullet but its left a 'kin big scar.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes, here in Leeds he had a reputation back then..... incredible how he could deflect from it... but I guess we've see similar happening more recently.... if you've a certain position in society, anything is possible in that respect.
I see it sold in 2014, for double the asking price but can't find out to who or whats happened to it since. I doubt it will be demolished now & hope, as you suggest it's a museum or such to Hamish who's memory, within 'The-coe family', will far outweigh that of Saville's. In the 70's was a landmark for us traveling up from Leeds for winter climbing before camping lower down the valley near the Clachaig Inn.... great memories & always happy to return alive!!

If you saw the Louis Theroux documentary with him, even then he thought he was bullet proof. He donated an item to a charity auction I ran once and still have regret approaching him for it even though no-one was aware what an evil person he was

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wolf

Visit site
Honest answer no idea because it would have been people a lot higher up pay grades than myself making those decisions. I'd never even heard of the Kincora scandals you've posted all those links to until you just mentioned them. But if people are aware of it then it's either something they need change the name of again or perhaps they'll rename it again if they already haven't, it's been a few years since I've been back there now.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Honest answer no idea because it would have been people a lot higher up pay grades than myself making those decisions. I'd never even heard of the Kincora scandals you've posted all those links to until you just mentioned them. But if people are aware of it then it's either something they need change the name of again or perhaps they'll rename it again if they already haven't, it's been a few years since I've been back there now.

Cheers. Be interestred to know if the new name stuck or if it was changed again. Crazy to think noone made the link at the time or is it a case of hidden in plain sight???

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

I had an issue from the opposite perspective. Was heading up to Woodhall Spa a year or two back, car loaded with family and golf clubs. The satnav had a wobble and we missed our turning on the A1, it promptly recalculated, and had us turning right about a mile up the road. Blindly following the satnav, I was in the fast lane getting ready to turn right, could see the filter towards the middle. I pulled in, slowing as I obviously couldn't turn through the traffic, only to realise that there was nothing delaying the cars coming the other way, and I was stuck in the filter lane and could not pull back into the fast lane from a standing start. Makes my hair stand on end just thinking about it, we were stuck sitting there with cars hairing past us in both directions, extremely close to us. I can honestly say that was one of the most scary situations I have ever been in. Eventually, I just had go with the biggest gap I saw and accelerate across the carriage way, it could all have turned out so bad, fortunately, we were able to enjoy a lovely afternoon playing round the Hotchkin.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
About 20 years ago we took a holiday to Florida to do the Disney stuff and then a week on the beach in Clearwater. Rental car and a bit scary as you get off the plane and drive to the hotel. We managed ok and then the next day headed off to Sea World. Our return trip was a left turn onto a 4 lane highway. David turned immediate left, into the oncoming traffic - road was empty. Fortunately, as it was very quiet, I calmly told him to do a u turn which he did - across onto the other carriageway - so now we're facing the wrong way again. Somehow we managed to get it sorted without carnage as the road was so quiet - phew. He hardly spoke that night as couldn't stop thinking about what might have happened. Since then I do the driving abroad!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I got my MA from Liverpool Hope, Rolf Harris was the honorary guest and receiving a doctorate from them. A lot of people were hankering for pictures, needless to say his entourage only let young attractive girls through and binned everybody else off. It was so obvious.....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another traffic one.

Driving down the A71 very early one morning to catch the ferry to Mull at Ardrossan - was single carriageway in those days (don't know if it still is?). Anyhow, road was deserted so I was going pretty quick. Then suddenly see a car ahead and think - crikey ,where did he come from, I'm catching him a bit fast. And then even more suddenly realise I'm not catching him. He's on my side of the road heading towards me. Has he seen me? Will he swerve out the way? Do I swerve out the way? What if we both do? Do I brake? A last second wrench of the steering wheel gets me out of the way. He shoots past on the inside of me and continues, oblivious, up the wrong side of the road. The whole thing lasted about 5 seconds and I still don't know how I had time to make the right decision.