Heart rate watch - recommendations

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ay up gents. Not sure if anyone can help but I'm on a bit of a health kick and so far to date this year 17lbs has been lost, but it's been bought to my attention that I'm training at the wrong intensity which means I'm not getting the best results.

According to what I've read online a should be training at around 60/70% of my maximum bpm, therefore I need a decent wrist based heart monitor .

I recently purchased one from decathlon made but geonaute, but it's interface with the app is appauling and I hate the fact that I've got to wear a chest strap for any BPM measurements

The current front runner is the Nubsnd flash at £60.00, the misses has a Fitbit but I'm wondering what others are using and if I'm missing something else.

Will be mainly used for cross country walking

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got a Garmin Vivosmart with integrated heart rate monitor. Had it for a year and think it is excellent. Syncs well with the phone too, with notifications from the front of my iphone also appearing on the wrist and buzzing - can configure to suit what you want to be aware of. Heart rate monitor seems accurate enough for me, auto detects activities like sustained walking. Can get it for £105 online.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When i cycled Baz the leading HRM was Polar, not sure if they still make them, I'm going back at least 20 years.

still have a couple sitting around somewhere which you are welcome to, batteries would have long since died, so those would need replaced along with the belts, which i think were sealed units

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got the Tom Tom version with built in music / Bluetooth support to headphones also which I like as I don't need o take anything else with me to listen to music while I run.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Keep em coming gents,

Patrick thank you for the offer but it's the belt I don't like. The geonaute will no doubt do everything but I just don't want the belt on my moobs.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Got the Garman Vivioactive HR. Cracking piece of kit. Easy to use and, like the Viviosmart, links easy to my smart phone.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Sports Instruments Circiut 5 from when I raced mtb's, I did get it from a cycling shop (Cycles Unlimited, owned by Geoffrey Butler Cycles....not far from you) However I would suggest 2 things..
..the ones with the chest strap are much more accurate, and whilst you said you don't like them you do get used to it. I was the same as you originally, but I got used to it and it also had the mental effect of putting me in that training to a target frame of mind.
Secondly.....don't get anything that cannot have the batteries replaced. Polar's used (don't know if they still do) to have a sealed chest strap and the wrist unit was a git too. The problem with the sealed chest strap being you would have to send it back for "replacement" at stupid money.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Says a lot when decathlon hrm works better than garmins? Lost faith in garmin when the fr70 needed a simple battery change and never worked again! Happens a lot and soon as the 12 months is up #ShoppingAgain

Xiaomi or Chinese from aliexpress, gearbest good oprions.

Still on the strap for cycling but as said geonaute ant+ Bluetooth clip in after you guessed it 2 failed garmin units

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
looks a lot prettier than the one i currently have (which is my biggest gripe with it!)

im gonna wait for the new one, i have just sold my fitbit blaze as i was fed up with its lack of capability. I did toy with the tomtom spark 3 as it has 500GB storage for music...

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
A chest strap is more accurate then wrist based. I've had a couple wrist based Garmin but the results can be all over the place at times. I bought a Suunto with the chest strap and the data is more consistent.