Heads-Up Putting..

evemccc

Visit site
Probably most have tried this…but has anyone converted fully and done this consistently? Pros and Cons of it please

If you tried it and reverted back to ‘normal’, why?

Does it make a difference for length of putt? For example..Must-make putts of 5 ft and in you look at the ball and putter, but heads-up helps with long range?

Cheers

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When you say 'head up' do you mean look at the hole? (I just had this weird vision of staring off into the horizon by lifting head straight up)

edit : Assuming its looking at the hole I dug up an old thread on it https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/look-at-the-hole-when-putting.98799/
I was doing it for about a year or more when I was having trouble with pace on medium/long putts (which is resolved now)

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
When you say 'head up' do you mean look at the hole? (I just had this weird vision of staring off into the horizon by lifting head straight up)

edit : Assuming its looking at the hole I dug up an old thread on it https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/look-at-the-hole-when-putting.98799/
I was doing it for about a year or more when I was having trouble with pace on medium/long putts (which is resolved now)

Read the thread! Will try it on Sunday and will give it a decent go from now until the start of April and ‘golf season proper’

No further replies necessary

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Read the thread! Will try it on Sunday and will give it a decent go from now until the start of April and ‘golf season proper’

No further replies necessary

@Slab

I'll bet you're really pleased you tried to help :rolleyes:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I tried this just now..alternating styles...
Albeit a very unscientific and limited test I can fairly confidently conclude that if I used the number of hours I would need to get to the standard of putter that I am now to practice my current method then I will be taking no more than 18 putts per round...........;)

evemccc

Visit site
Jumping to an inaccurate conclusion and grumbling about someone through misreading and misinterpreting a post, is very ‘Golf Monthly Forum 2023’ ?

I think Bob is misinterpreting the "Read the Thread" as an instruction instead of "I've read the thread"

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have briefly tried it a long time ago (probably around the time of that old thread that was linked), but I found it made me not strike the ball very well. More toe and heel strikes. And no improvement on line or pace. I ended up discovering I putt better by doing the opposite - don't look at the hole at all, even after I hit the ball so I'm not lifting my head out of the stroke.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I look "vaguely" in the direction of the ball when putting.
I determine the start line for the putt and use a line on my ball to line up my putter perpendicular.
Take a couple of practice swings getting a feel for the pace I require.
Once I feel like I've burnt an image of the putt in to my mind I step in and execute the shot without "focussing" on anything that could distract my mind

Works for me and most playing partners would consider me a good putter.