Heacham, Hunstanton & Kings Lynn GC's

pontius69

Visit site
Hi Guys, I'm looking at the above courses for a society trip, does anyone have any info which could help me?
ie general condition, interesting, taxing etc.
Thanks in advance.
Pontius69

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hunstanton is the only one of those courses I've played and a lot will depend on when you intend to play it? In mid summer I wouldn't recommend it for higher handicappers when the rough is up as it could prove a bit taxing for them but autumn/winter it is probably a good choice. I've heard good things about Kings Lynn, supposed to be a very nice parkland course. Heacham I've not heard of I'm afraid.

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played Hunstanton, albeit quite a few years ago. To be honest all of the links courses around Norfolk are pretty good so you cant go wrong with any of them, Sheringham and Cromer are good too. Kings Lynn is also another good course, played it during winter and it was in decent condition. Havent played Heacham but the other two are great choices.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All courses are ok and offer different challenges. Heacham is quite open and long but nicely designed, still quite new though and bedding in a little. King's Lynn is narrow and tree-lined (described to me by a pro as like playing in a straight jacket) but i enjoyed membership here loads. Hunstanton offers the very traditional links challenge (1st nine out from the clubhouse to make your score and the second nine back into the prevailing wind hanging on for dear life). Heacham easiest, King's Lynn second and Hunny the hardest if the wind blows and could well eat a rank beginner.

Depending upon your budget and travel arrangements but maybe consider Royal West Norfolk, Sheringham and Cromer also as these are absolute gems and consistantly rank highly in many 'best courses' lists. They'd be my choice but would have to save up a bit first.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played Kings Lynn, and it was just as the Pro described. His advice was simple, play where you can see. I don't think there were many holes where you could see the next one, well layed out and a very friendly.

Definately on my to do again list.

Hunstanton have a two ball policy most days so you could be limited to when you can get on as a society.

Heacham Manor have a great society package at the moment, £20 for golf and food, must be booked by the end of this month and played before the new year, (weekdays only)

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello from sweden, we where playing seacroft, hunstanton, sheringham and cromer this sep. We liked sheringham and hunstanton best. hunstanton is more expansive , but was a little better maintained in our opinion. Cromer had really nice maintained holes, but it was to much up and down to walk... We like links and liked saunton, berham&berrow and royal north devon was a highlight for us last summer...

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Hunstanton is very nice course, to echo what the other posters have said, most of the coastal courses around Norfolk are but due to tourist attention, some are a bit overpriced. One I would recommend if you fancy travelling inland a bit is Thetford, remodelled by James Braid and Philip Ross-Mackenzie, it's similar to the Rosemount at Blairgowrie. Highly recommended but it is quite narrow, not quite as tight as Kings Lynn though

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello from sweden, we where playing seacroft, hunstanton, sheringham and cromer this sep. We liked sheringham and hunstanton best. hunstanton is more expansive , but was a little better maintained in our opinion. Cromer had really nice maintained holes, but it was to much up and down to walk... We like links and liked saunton, berham&berrow and royal north devon was a highlight for us last summer...

Hi Laka,

Hunstanton is very good, as is Saunton (both courses). Get yourself up to the North west of England, near Liverpool and play Birkdale, Hillside, Formby and some others, you will not be disappointed.

pontius69

Visit site
Thank you Gentlemen for your comments it sounds pretty good for a society weekend.....on which i guess nobody cares about golf just beer!
thanks again happy golfing
regards
Pontius69