Hay fever

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never suffered with this as a kid, teenager or young adult. When I'd hear someone moan about it I couldn't/didn't empathise with them.

Then at some point in my early to mid 30s a few years ago, it suddenly hit me. And God it's so bad now when it hits me. I get the runny nose, sneezing etc, but the worst is the dry and itchy eyes! If I dare to rub/scratch my eyes, it gives a few second relief but then makes them feel a million times worse for the next few days!

For the last week or so, I've been suffering. I take one tablet of certrizine and one of loratidine per day, but I'm not sure how much help they are giving me. I am also constantly applying eye drops to help with the soreness/itchiness.

A bit of Googling reveals that a GP can prescribe steroids for it. Also apparently you can have immunotherapy (injection), but this is most effective when given in winter to give you a few months to build up some immunity. So I've missed the boat for this year.

Any or many others here suffer like me?! Have you had steroids or injections for it and if so did they help?! I'm a red-eyed, snivelling wreck at the moment and need some light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

User20204

Visit site
I seem to have grown out of it, had it for about ten years but not for about 5 or 7 years now, can absolutely make the summer totally miserable.

As for what worked, cheapo tescos tablets worked best for me.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you tried eating local honey? Never suffered from it myself but have heard that if you eat honey that is produced close to where you live it can help.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I've not suffered as bad this year thankfully - eye drops twice a day and a pill each morning!

However for the last few days I've had an annoying cough - which could be down to hayfever or not....

Either way, roll on mid July when I'm usually over this annoyance!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have prescription tablets and nasal spray, but even that wasn't enough this weekend, was absolutely brutal on Friday and Saturday.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I've ever had it. A friend of mine a few years ago suddenly developed hayfever in his late 20s, he did some research and it was something to do with different types of pollen coming in from other countries or something like that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son gets it and this year has been a bad one. The local honey one is fine but it really needs to be local, not just honey. We don't have a local source so we can not test the theory.

Do you have an air purifier for night time? That helped with his eyes, helped him to sleep without sneezing. Wear sun glasses when playing golf, wrap around ideally

I remember reading that Ian Poulter suffers and he takes tablets about two months before the hay fever season starts in order to build up a level of immunity. My son is too lazy to be that prepared unfortunately.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep I get it very badly.

Literally nothing works.

I take one tablet (sometimes 2) a day. Eye drops and Nasal Spray.

It certainly helps but it is still dreadful. This year it has been very very bad for the eyes. Not so bad for the runny nose and sneezing, haven't broken my record of 14 sneezes in a row this year.

I have to be very careful of looking for balls in the rough as if it is long enough that is me gone for the rest of the day.

Also, make sure you shower twice a day and wear new clothes as the pollen sticks to clothes and hair.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow, hard to believe you guys ever became regular golfers with symptoms like these. You must prefer winter golf when it's hammering down!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never had to take steroids for hayfever but do get on average 1 day of a year where it becomes completely debilitating so know how frustrating and unpleasant it can be.

Best advice I have is to try different medications. Loratadine doesn't work for me. Cetirizine Hydrochloride does. The combination of generic brand C.H and Beconase nasal spray twice a day has worked well for me over the years.

For golf when pollen is high I'll wear wrap-around shades which makes a surprising amount of difference to both the eyes and nose.

All that and a couple of a cold showers on a warm day is not only refreshing but makes a huge difference to being able to play golf on high pollen days for me. Just try different things and find something that works for you - there isn't a catch-all solution sadly.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worth a try but everytime I've got Vaseline near my eyes I've ended up with worse problems than hayfever. :)

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've suffered for years and tried most things. The thing that has worked best has been a product called Haymax, this works like vaseline.

YandaB

Visit site
I've never had to take steroids for hayfever but do get on average 1 day of a year where it becomes completely debilitating so know how frustrating and unpleasant it can be.

Best advice I have is to try different medications. Loratadine doesn't work for me. Cetirizine Hydrochloride does. The combination of generic brand C.H and Beconase nasal spray twice a day has worked well for me over the years.

For golf when pollen is high I'll wear wrap-around shades which makes a surprising amount of difference to both the eyes and nose.

All that and a couple of a cold showers on a warm day is not only refreshing but makes a huge difference to being able to play golf on high pollen days for me. Just try different things and find something that works for you - there isn't a catch-all solution sadly.

As someone that has suffered for 40 years I would agree that this is all good advice. There are cheaper versions of the branded Beconase spray available.

Thankfully for me, it has got better as I have aged. I recall my o-level mutiple-choice chemistry exam well, answer question, sneeze, repeat for and hour and a half - can't have been good for my fellow examinees either. This has been the biggest factor on me not taking the game up seriously until a few years ago, walking around a field in summer was always at the bottom of my list of things to do!

One more thing to add to LT's good suggestions is that I never have any of my clothes aired outside, doing so just means that you are walking around with pollen near you at all times of the day, even when inside.

I also believe that it is semi-psychosomatic in that I can be somewhere and be absolutely fine, hear someone else sneeze, think "that's good, I'm not getting hayfever" and then boom, off I go, sneeze, sneeze, sneeze. It's somewhat like that swingthought "don't put it in the water on the left", followed by "splosh".

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been horrible this year for sure, doc has given us some Fexofenadine this year not sure its any improvement on the usual tablets. Nasal rinsing can also help as can eye drops (keep them in the fridge)