Having a stock shot

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The other thread about grip got me thinking as I'm struggling with target at the moment...

When I 1st started in the summer I was getting a lot of inconsistent shots- thins, fats etc but due to my swing path I either had relatively straight shot, fade or sometimes downright slice

Since I've been getting lessons my ball striking has improved dramatically; Able to compress down more into ball, usually taking ball 1st (still get the occasional Fat and thin one but a lot less than before) so relatively happy with the strikes in that respect but the thing now costing me is the dispersion....

Whereas before I always knew to aim left of target to help my fade/slice now I am hitting equally to the left, right and centre- it's honestly about 1/3 each so it's hard to get consistency.

My coach has changed my grip to neutral, said my alignment and posture good and see's progress in my striking but getting ball to target the now i'm really struggling- not got a lesson for another week so any advice welcome?

I think a fade is probably my natural shot but my coach is trying to get me more swing in to out so starting right with ball flight so i'm presuming he wants me eventually drawing the ball(will ask next week).

Not been able to get out on course due to weather to see if my actual scoring has got any better.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Rather than a having a stock shot, I've found it much better to know where I'm going to miss.

As an example.

Through the work I've been doing with my Pro, I know (Unless I get it horrendously wrong) I'm going to miss to the right.

I've started hitting more draws now where the ball starts right of target and curves back to it. If I'm going to miss it's, usually, right when I haven't got enough hook spin on the ball to bring it back.

If you're still missing on both sides of the course, I would suggest playing with what you have until your next lesson and let your pro continue his work on your swing.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with the 'miss' focus. Some of the best rounds I've played was within my first two years playing with a mega slice.

I tended to aim at the hazard on the left, just knowing that I would miss it after the ball cut away. My scores came down a good bit (2013) as I could relax about not missing a mile right. I then worked on impact alone and scores started to plummet.

As I learned more about impact and ball-flight, I learned how to manipulate shots (2014). I know how my club face and stance should be for most shapes. Even if I'm struggling after a few holes, I know that a few adjustments to my stance and club face will get me round reasonably safely.

The only thing that causes me to rack up cricket scores (other than a wonky short game) is strike. I was stuck at 28 handicap level for my whole first year because I wasn't able to get the ball moving forward (significantly) 95% of the time. So, that's what I'd advise you to keep focussing on. If you can hit ball, then turf you're doing well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trying to have a stock miss. I use to miss both left and right and so the idea of weakening the grip is to take one side (left) much more out of the equation. I am not a great one for trying to work the ball and try and plot my way round in straight lines unless I'm faced with a situation demanding a shot to move one way or the other. I'm trying to follow Bob Mc's advice and keep it simple