Harold Swash Putter? Anybody know?

D

Deleted member 21445

Phil Kenyon is a close friend of mine, we grew up playing county golf together in Southport.
Phil was a member of Hillside while I was at SnA and we travelled to all national tournaments together many moons ago.

Let me know if there is anything specifically you want to know. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanker69

Visit site
This is a great piece(s) of information.

I've got an Align 1. There's an Align 3 on eBay at the moment.

There is also another which I have very little on. It's not a pretty looking putter but it is part of the range extended beyond No.4, (also on eBay). It's been identified by Harold's son Duncan, (who worked with him), as a 6 or a 7. It featured a removable face which enabled the user to change the loft which was quite innovative at the time.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is a great piece(s) of information.

I've got an Align 1. There's an Align 3 on eBay at the moment.

There is also another which I have very little on. It's not a pretty looking putter but it is part of the range extended beyond No.4, (also on eBay). It's been identified by Harold's son Duncan, (who worked with him), as a 6 or a 7. It featured a removable face which enabled the user to change the loft which was quite innovative at the time.

See post #18 for the adjustable face/loft models 5 and 6.

Shanker69

Visit site
Fantastic. It looks like there were only six in total then.

Looking at these old photos, some the shafts look as though they are coated with some sort of black paint.

My Align 1, has a very "dirty" shaft as though at some point it was coated and poor attempts were made to remove the coating.

I haven't had a magnet out to test the material of the shaft yet but I strongly suspect it's made of some sort of aluminium alloy. I might be wrong though.

Apart from possibly reducing glare, if it is aluminium the paint could have been an extra protective coating to reduce oxidation.

Duncan Swash

Visit site
Hi. I've just seen this conversation . If it's still of interest to you. Harold Swash was my Dad and i worked with him at Align Golf when I left school.The Align 4 putter was one of four in the original range from the early 70's. A further 4 followed with numbers 7 and 8 (both mallet shapes). The putters were ground breaking at the time and many of the features are still prevelent in putters today. The putters were designed to be face balanced . This allowed the face to stay square to target when swung in a pendulum manner. The alignment feature was also something rarely considered at this time. Dad was an engineer and always believed it to be easier to line a putter up than square off the face. Dad went on to design the long putter for Sam Torrance (Wilson). But his most successful range was the Yes C Groove range which was used most recently by the winner of the US Open in 2022. Many of the putters, you see today, have a triple bend face balanced shaft . This was also his design, first used in a range of putters in the early 80s by Fazer Golf. He was known as "The putting doctor" and coached many of the world's top players.The Harold Swash Putting schools is now owned by Phil Kenyon who has taken Dad's beliefs to another level. Dad passed on in 2016. Regards Duncan Swash.

Duncan Swash

Visit site
Fantastic. It looks like there were only six in total then.

Looking at these old photos, some the shafts look as though they are coated with some sort of black paint.

My Align 1, has a very "dirty" shaft as though at some point it was coated and poor attempts were made to remove the coating.

I haven't had a magnet out to test the material of the shaft yet but I strongly suspect it's made of some sort of aluminium alloy. I might be wrong though.

Apart from possibly reducing glare, if it is aluminium the paint could have been an extra protective coating to reduce oxidation.
It was aluminium that was anodised black.

Newtonuti

Visit site
Hi. I've just seen this conversation . If it's still of interest to you. Harold Swash was my Dad and i worked with him at Align Golf when I left school.The Align 4 putter was one of four in the original range from the early 70's. A further 4 followed with numbers 7 and 8 (both mallet shapes). The putters were ground breaking at the time and many of the features are still prevelent in putters today. The putters were designed to be face balanced . This allowed the face to stay square to target when swung in a pendulum manner. The alignment feature was also something rarely considered at this time. Dad was an engineer and always believed it to be easier to line a putter up than square off the face. Dad went on to design the long putter for Sam Torrance (Wilson). But his most successful range was the Yes C Groove range which was used most recently by the winner of the US Open in 2022. Many of the putters, you see today, have a triple bend face balanced shaft . This was also his design, first used in a range of putters in the early 80s by Fazer Golf. He was known as "The putting doctor" and coached many of the world's top players.The Harold Swash Putting schools is now owned by Phil Kenyon who has taken Dad's beliefs to another level. Dad passed on in 2016. Regards Duncan Swash.
Extremely interesting to read about your dad and his putters! Thank you for posting.

Shanker69

Visit site
When I inherited my Align 1 from a friend who passed away a few years back, I stuck it in a bag in the back of my garage and thought nothing of it. It appeared again when I was rootling around for something else. I'd bought a few beryllium copper ping putters from a guy and my interest in vintage putters took off again. I read that Harold, (your old man), was a member of Hillside in Southport. I happened to know a chap who is a member of Hillside who frequents my neck of the woods in North Wales on the occasional weekend. He comes down to watch RGC (rugby) when they are playing at home. You also know him evidently - he says he plays golf with you!

I received a load of scanned brochures for the original series of putters from you by way of our mutual acquaintance. They were/are very informative. I'd love to get hold of an original if there's any left. Let me know and perhaps you could let our friend have them and he can bring them over next time he comes.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Got to be one of the best first-time posts ever. :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
When I inherited my Align 1 from a friend who passed away a few years back, I stuck it in a bag in the back of my garage and thought nothing of it. It appeared again when I was rootling around for something else. I'd bought a few beryllium copper ping putters from a guy and my interest in vintage putters took off again. I read that Harold, (your old man), was a member of Hillside in Southport. I happened to know a chap who is a member of Hillside who frequents my neck of the woods in North Wales on the occasional weekend. He comes down to watch RGC (rugby) when they are playing at home. You also know him evidently - he says he plays golf with you!

I received a load of scanned brochures for the original series of putters from you by way of our mutual acquaintance. They were/are very informative. I'd love to get hold of an original if there's any left. Let me know and perhaps you could let our friend have them and he can bring them over next time he comes.

I'd be very interested in seeing the old brochures if you still have them, or better still if you could email them to me!

Sandsider

Visit site
I bought an Align 6 new in about 1975 I would guess, from Bryon Hutchinson, Pro at Moortown and did very well but broke the head.
I very recently found a mint one at our local Re-use centre. £2 exchanged hands, putted with it and it 'clonked'. Probably why it was dumped, sad.Tightening the screws fixed it !
I never saw an alternative head or any wedges. Does anyone have a pattern for the wedges so I can make my own. I guess I can bodge something but the real McCoy design would be preferable. Thanks.

Shanker69

Visit site
We are trying to identify this putter and wondered if anyone can help please? We believe it could be quite an old one? It doesn’t have any markings on the head, just on the shaft which says: Align4, British and Foreign Design Registrations and Made in U.K. It also has a logo and info on the grip as pictured. It is also face balanced. Could be one for @Crow ? All info greatly received, thank you. View attachment 40224View attachment 40225View attachment 40226View attachment 40227View attachment 40228View attachment 40229
I have an Align 1. I inherited it from a mate who sadly passed away.

Duncan Swash, (Harold's son), plays with a mate of mine at Hillside.

He helped me identify mine. I'm sure he'd help you too.

You could get in touch with him through Hillside GC in Southport.