Harold Swash Putter? Anybody know?

Boomy

Visit site
We are trying to identify this putter and wondered if anyone can help please? We believe it could be quite an old one? It doesn’t have any markings on the head, just on the shaft which says: Align4, British and Foreign Design Registrations and Made in U.K. It also has a logo and info on the grip as pictured. It is also face balanced. Could be one for @Crow ? All info greatly received, thank you. 53175251-6AF8-483D-97F1-02CB4AB9A650.jpeg24AA0B54-A846-49EB-BCC4-2764CDBFE8B9.jpegC1F7CD3C-32AA-410B-B916-9312B6D3DA78.jpeg376681AE-4995-4EFC-AD07-C7BB30FF1F98.jpeg5CE17C06-ADFF-4867-A9E0-2D1E91801448.jpegE33193B1-A8FB-47D7-AE2A-BB7C51112898.jpeg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's one of several Align putter styles that were available, I think you're right about Harold Swash but I'll need to do a bit of digging to confirm dates.

Boomy

Visit site
It's one of several Align putter styles that were available, I think you're right about Harold Swash but I'll need to do a bit of digging to confirm dates.

Thank you Crow. The only info I can find (and not necessarily from a reliable source) is that it could be from the late 60’s and the first of its kind patented to be face balanced.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
After a leaf through a few old magazines I've found this from April 1975.
I'm sure the company started before this date and there will be earlier adverts, this one is more about their sponsorship of an event but it does show four putters styles, including yours.
(You could try ringing Formby 79636 for info ;) )

1640968345857.png

Boomy

Visit site
After a leaf through a few old magazines I've found this from April 1975.
I'm sure the company started before this date and there will be earlier adverts, this one is more about their sponsorship of an event but it does show four putters styles, including yours.
(You could try ringing Formby 79636 for info ;) )

View attachment 40236

That is fantastic ? and there it is. Thank you for looking through your magazines. I’ll keep looking to see if I can find any more information on it. I’ve had a putt with it, it’s rather hot off the face ? I just picked it up in a charity shop for £3 - probably what it cost new ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A bargain!
I think they were a well thought of putter at the time and probably cost a decent amount.

He's not quite got the high MOI right as a lot of the weight is behind the sweet spot rather than the perimeter but the alignment aids are good. :)

Boomy

Visit site
A bargain!
I think they were a well thought of putter at the time and probably cost a decent amount.

He's not quite got the high MOI right as a lot of the weight is behind the sweet spot rather than the perimeter but the alignment aids are good. :)

He must have done something right somewhere with the MOI as it is as straight as an arrow - I’m tempted to take it out on Sunday ⛳️ Once you get accustomed to how hot the face is it rolls the ball lovely ?

Last edited:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are trying to identify this putter and wondered if anyone can help please? We believe it could be quite an old one? It doesn’t have any markings on the head, just on the shaft which says: Align4, British and Foreign Design Registrations and Made in U.K. It also has a logo and info on the grip as pictured. It is also face balanced. Could be one for @Crow ? All info greatly received, thank you. View attachment 40224View attachment 40225View attachment 40226View attachment 40227View attachment 40228View attachment 40229
I think Phil Kenyon up at Formby Hall took over the Harold Swatch School some years ago. Might be worth pinging them a note to see if they have any more info.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty sure there was a Yes putter with the same shape...Swash was involved with them I believe...
Natilie? Though that was/is centre shafted, face balanced.
I tried one out for a while and, while it suited my game, it didn't compete (for me!) with the Baby Bee (my gamer still!) nor the CS TM Itsy.
And I believe Harold Swash actually started Yes! BobMac could well have some tellable stories (and maybe a few 'not tellable' ones too) as guess who eventually owned V-Easy!

Last edited:

Boomy

Visit site
I tried one out for a while and, while it suited my game, it didn't compete (for me!) with the Baby Bee (my gamer still!) nor the CS TM Itsy.

This old beauty is face balanced ??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This old beauty is face balanced ??
That (static attribute) generally requires a bit of tweaking of the balance for heel shafted putters (a touch more weight in the heel) so while static balance (held/rested in the hand) might indicate face balanced, dynamic balance (through the stroke) could well be heel balanced. Centre shafted putters don't have that issue. Neither is better than the other. Preference is all about what works best for the person putting!

Oh, and as for the putter in the OP...Could this help? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-rar...PrcBvWlRRYbrqqvvVN8epP0sK4Pf8qChoCx-UQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That (static attribute) generally requires a bit of tweaking of the balance for heel shafted putters (a touch more weight in the heel) so while static balance (held/rested in the hand) might indicate face balanced, dynamic balance (through the stroke) could well be heel balanced. Centre shafted putters don't have that issue. Neither is better than the other. Preference is all about what works best for the person putting!

Oh, and as for the putter in the OP...Could this help? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-rar...PrcBvWlRRYbrqqvvVN8epP0sK4Pf8qChoCx-UQAvD_BwE

Just because someone is asking £69 for a putter doesn't mean it's worth that, see if it's still for sale in a few weeks time.....
Align putters come up reasonably frequently and £20 to £25 would be about right in my mind.

Anyway, Boomy's is a much better looking putter than that one, and looks are everything when it comes to golf clubs. ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just because someone is asking £69 for a putter doesn't mean it's worth that, see if it's still for sale in a few weeks time.....
Align putters come up reasonably frequently and £20 to £25 would be about right in my mind.

Anyway, Boomy's is a much better looking putter than that one, and looks are everything when it comes to golf clubs. ;)
I had absolutely no interest in the price - hadn't even looked at it! But there was a certain resemblence (if beneath the battering) to the one in the OP and had 'Align' on it.
Oh, and I'd disagree about looks! My gamer is really fugly! But it works (for me) way better than some of the really beautiful (again, to me) ones I've tried - such as BB2 and even BB43!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And I believe Harold Swash actually started Yes! BobMac could well have some tellable stories (and maybe a few 'not tellable' ones too) as guess who eventually owned V-Easy!

Think it was called Emma. I owned one.

Nice putter but flew off the c grooves. Found it very unpredictable

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A bit of extra detail on Align putters, including the models 5 and 6 with adjustable loft!!! (Will a putter brand be bringing that one out again soon?)

This comes from Golf World magazine, July 1975.

1641161573935.png

1641161593224.png

Boomy

Visit site
A bit of extra detail on Align putters, including the models 5 and 6 with adjustable loft!!! (Will a putter brand be bringing that one out again soon?)

This comes from Golf World magazine, July 1975.

View attachment 40288

View attachment 40289

Thank you for these, they’re super. So, it looks like that one of mine is the Align 4 model. I am really tempted to take it out for a game ⛳