Hankley common

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m playing a 36 hole Comp on friday. Never played there before and really looking forward to it. Anyone played there? Any advice?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m playing a 36 hole Comp on friday. Never played there before and really looking forward to it. Anyone played there? Any advice?
Only about 60 odd on the forum ! Not ranked 34th in Golf Monthly top 100 UK courses for nothing. You will love it assuming you keep out of some of the thickest heather I have seen on a golf course.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh dear, I didn’t realise there had been a meet there. Should get plenty of “stay out of the heather” comments then :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's got lots of heather, try to stay out of it :thup:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Was there anything specific? It’s a pretty honest course; you can see most of the trouble in front of you. There’s a couple of shortish par 4’s which encourages you to have a bash. Not too risky on 4 but I’d play the other safe if I were you, 15 from memory.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the warnings about heather guys, the forum never disappoints ;)
Was thinking of “stay left on 4” or “don’t go for the green in one on 6”
Sort of thing...

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Only hole you can’t see much of the hole is 15. Hit iron or hybrid off the tee over the heather in front of tee and leave yourself a short wedge in. If you go for the green cutting off left side you can easily lose a ball. Don’t miss left on 16, par three. Easy to lose a ball.

18 has a huge crater in front of the green, so second shot is all carry. The crater has been cleared out though, so unless you are very unlucky you will get a lie.

Don’t play off the back purple tees.:eek:

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only hole you can’t see much of the hole is 15. Hit iron or hybrid off the tee over the heather in front of tee and leave yourself a short wedge in. If you go for the green cutting off left side you can easily lose a ball. Don’t miss left on 16, par three. Easy to lose a ball.

18 has a huge crater in front of the green, so second shot is all carry. The crater has been cleared out though, so unless you are very unlucky you will get a lie.

Don’t play off the back purple tees.:eek:

Cheers, it’s a scratch Comp off the purple tees so that sounds ominous already. I’m going to walk the course tomorrow evening if they will let me as the course is closed all day tomorrow to prepare it for the Comp.
I will certainly make a note of your tips.
I love the excitement of playing a top course for the first time!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Buy a course guide. As a cat 1 player you should be able to then work out where to hit it. As Richart says, the only trouble you can't see is the short right to left dogleg 15th. 4 or 5 iron off the tee is all you need.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers, it’s a scratch Comp off the purple tees so that sounds ominous already. I’m going to walk the course tomorrow evening if they will let me as the course is closed all day tomorrow to prepare it for the Comp.
I will certainly make a note of your tips.
I love the excitement of playing a top course for the first time!
Oh dear. If you are playing off the purples you probably will not be able to see many of the fairways.:) Greens are normally hard and fast, but recent rain means that shouldn't be too bad. There are a few dog legs mainly left, so a baby draw is a good shot. Course starts slowly but the holes from the 5th are crackers. Par three 7th is stunning hole, but don't be short. Avoid the bridle paths across the fairways as you have to play from them. Like playing from a badly raked bunker. On 18 aim at the marker down the left. If you go straight down the fairway you will finish in rough on the right. I heard the ladies had a match, and wanted to take the marker down to give the home team an advantage.:mad:

Hope you play well, but even if you don't I am sure you will enjoy the course.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You probably have seen the course guide on the website describing all the holes.

Strangely it says very little about any heather but I understand it is preferable to avoid!