Hands up

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is on a good day, I had a very in to out flat swing plane and I spent 12 months getting rid, it was further impacted by a strong grip too, welcome to hooksville

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't currently know. It was stupidly so, and the idea is to make it a lot more neutral. Ideally I want to draw the ball about 2 yards, may be less.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me :)

Anything between 1 and 5 degrees if the launch monitor at american golf is to be believed.

I've been working on eradicating it for years (Bob, you know how long I've been pestering you for advice), but I can't seem to get rid of it entirely.

T

thecraw

I just nail the ball Bob, couldn't care if its in to out, out to in or the octopus swing. As long as the ball goes straight (ish) and where/direction I want I'm happy enough.

John Daly had the right idea, grip it and rip it. Too many choppers get caught up with swing mechanics.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
most definitely, working on s&t at the mo and creating a draw but still suffering with a poor takeaway causing my downswing to be out to in grrrr

I will crack it eventually!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sorry, mornings are not good.
My swing was stupidly in to out, and I am working on getting it more neutral, not out to in as first posted.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really try for in-sq-in. But tend to go in-out if I dont watch it. Always know when the in-out is happening, nice fat shots or shanks.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Interesting.
So what would you say are the rest doing % wise
In to sq to in =
In to out =

As a guesstimate I'd say 30% are in-to-out (tendancy to get stuck/block/push-slice) and the rest are in-sq-in although a lot make contact when the path is out-to-in due to bad alignment/weight hanging back/spinning out etc etc) Lot's of people get over plane but that's not OTT.

Are there any official figures? ...as I said previously I reckon the OTT's are quite low.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a guesstimate I'd say 30% are in-to-out (tendancy to get stuck/block/push-slice) and the rest are in-sq-in although a lot make contact when the path is out-to-in due to bad alignment/weight hanging back/spinning out etc etc) Lot's of people get over plane but that's not OTT.

Are there any official figures? ...as I said previously I reckon the OTT's are quite low.

This is probably a stupid question, but I don't quite follow what you and Bob are talking about. Are you saying that there is a difference between out to in and being over the top? Wouldn't both have the same affect (pull or pull slice?).

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Bob's question said 'downswing out-to-in', seeing as we rotate our shoulders the downswing is pretty much always in-to-out as the club starts behind us. So he must be implying 'over the top' which I'd say is very few. It's generally initiated with a huge shoulder adjustment...ala Smiffy :whistle:

Intel

Hacker
Visit site
I dont know.

My typical shot is a fade but my bad shot is a straight push right so it is or it isn't :confused:

Impossible to say without seeing your swing of course but, with a swing which regularly produces a push and a fade, you're probably in to out/in to in with a weak grip. Unless you're a high handicapper, then it is probably many different things (no offence intended to any high handicappers).

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a video lesson back in October and I was told im an "Out to In" but I didnt understand what this meant.
To be honest I am still none the wiser and didnt think anything of it until seeing this thread. Is this a good or bad swing plane and what are the advantage/disadvantages?.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I am, had a video lesson 6 months ago & backswing was fine but down swing went outside the ball then cut back at the last second to hit the ball, made for a horrible weak cut if the timing was even slightly off. Seems to be more neutral now and am definitely noticing the difference in straightness, accuracy & distance (concentrating on keeping my right elbow tucked in on the downswing).