Hands - releasing with driver and iron?

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
I've suffered from a nightmare slice/fade for most of the 6 months that I've been back playing golf.

I've considered my body rotation, arms in the downswing etc to try to help alleviate the problem.

I then got to thinking that I wasn't releasing the club properly, so have been watching alot of slomo videos of top golfers and watch how their hands are 90° to the arms until they release, I tried this today and hit some lovely drives...

I then went to pot a little with my longer and mid irons!

So, should the wrist/hands releasing be the same for a longer club and a shorter club?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've suffered from a nightmare slice/fade for most of the 6 months that I've been back playing golf.

I've considered my body rotation, arms in the downswing etc to try to help alleviate the problem.

I then got to thinking that I wasn't releasing the club properly, so have been watching alot of slomo videos of top golfers and watch how their hands are 90° to the arms until they release, I tried this today and hit some lovely drives...

I then went to pot a little with my longer and mid irons!

So, should the wrist/hands releasing be the same for a longer club and a shorter club?

Hi Dave, as i've actually played with you i don't think its the rotation, your body is aiming way left and your feet straight, so you are allways going to be cutting across the ball.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes, the hands should release on all full shots, that is how you generate the clubhead speed and therefore distance.

Imagine trying to throw a ball without cocking/uncocking your wrists, it wouldn't go very far at all. The same principle applies to the golf swing.

But as patrick says above, pay plenty of attention to your alignment, bad basics are the root cause of a lot of bad shots.

A

Alex1975

Have you had anyone look at your swing for you? Guessing and looking at videos cost me a year of my golfing life, you would be better off looking at a slow-mo of your own swing.

For me the slice/fade was a defence thing, as soon as I started lining up to the right and hitting the ball to the right I started to see the light. Its hard for a slicer to hit the ball out right as you think it will just go more right when it slices.

You may do it for a totally different reason. Post a video or have someone your trust or pay to have a look for you.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If your ball turns right then your swing-path will be pointing left of your club-face direction at impact. Get the two pointing as near as you can to each other then it will fly straighter.