Hands Losing Connection at Top of Backswing

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Recently I have noticed (felt) that my hands seem to be separating at the top of my backswing. In other words, the notch in my right palm comes away from my left thumb. Is this something I should be concerned about (I assume yes, but not 100% sure as I've never come across a mention of it before), and if so, what could be causing it and how do I correct it?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The issue is the swing path being out to in and the clubface being inconsistent in where it points at impact.
When the clubface is square to the SWINGPATH, you hit the pull, when the face is open a touch, you get the fade and when it's open more, you slice.
Try placing something small..... a matchstick, a piece of card etc between your thumb and palm and keep it there during the swing and see if that improves the consistency of the club face.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The issue is the swing path being out to in and the clubface being inconsistent in where it points at impact.
When the clubface is square to the SWINGPATH, you hit the pull, when the face is open a touch, you get the fade and when it's open more, you slice.
Try placing something small..... a matchstick, a piece of card etc between your thumb and palm and keep it there during the swing and see if that improves the consistency of the club face.

I have a tendency to regrip during my swing - because the correct grip never feels comfortable. Always with the driver, but not quite so bad with the irons, this results in my right hand sliding underneath and becoming stronger, and ultimately a nasty pull hook. My coach does the paper trick to me all time, if I keep the paper in place, the hand doesn't move and oddly, the ball flies pretty straight :eek:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My coach does the paper trick to me all time, if I keep the paper in place, the hand doesn't move and oddly, the ball flies pretty straight:eek:

It will do if the clubface is straight.
What you could do is open the face at address, then take your grip and let the regrip happen :)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It will do if the clubface is straight.
What you could do is open the face at address, then take your grip and let the regrip happen :)

He never suggested that before, he does seem to want to mould us into the correct way, rather than working with what I have. I'll ask him about this next time I see him.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
He never suggested that before, he does seem to want to mould us into the correct way, rather than working with what I have. I'll ask him about this next time I see him.

There are certain things that affect the ball directly at impact.
Clubface direction is one of them.
Fortunately, the ball doesn't care how the clubface gets there .