Handicap

jambread69

Visit site
What's the point of having a handicap if you hardly use it in competition. I'm a 27 handicapper and in the majority of competitions that I have enetered it has been max 18 handicap with another 75% taken of that. This means at the very start of the competition I lose 13 shots making it a nigh on certainity that I have no chance of competing. I thought this game was a sport?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where you competing, jambread? Sounds a bit off to me? I know there are many gents competitions where the max handicap for competitors is 18 (more often 21) but why are you only being given .75 of that?

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
JB69,
Must be a very strange club you belong to if most of the comps have an effective handicap limit of 18. I'd find yourself another club if that really is the case.
As for 3/4 handicap that should only ever really apply in fourball betterball. Is that what you've been playing?
You may find the post at the end of the thread below of some use in explaining why 3/4 handicap is used in betterball. If it isn't betterball you've been playing then you're being diddled and should indeed find a new home club with all due haste!!

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/forums//showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8381/an/0/page/1#8381

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crazy......never played anywhere with a limit for competitions (other than certain things, like the scratch cup or summer Opens at other clubs)?? Sounds to me as if "someone" at your club is pulling strings to protect the lower h'cap players.
Odd

Dave

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like they may have had a bandit problem in the past but that's not YOUR problem. I would go and have words because if you have an official handicap then it isn't fair and it's missing the point of the handicapping system entirely.