Handicap tracking thread

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Got my first handicap through yesterday (a shocking 37) so thought a thread to track everyone's progress would be a good idea

Hoping to knock it down it high 20s soon, that seems more respectable than 37!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Well done on getting your handicap, you would be my perfect match play opponent.

You will be getting a few weird looks in your next comp if on a hole you say 'I am getting 3 shots on this' ;-)
I got a net 0 once on a hole for 6 of points, birdying a par 4 in stable ford comp. Made up for it with plenty of blobs, though ;-(

I should be a 33ish right now, but it's really hard to get down to that. Plenty of cards should help.

Diamond

Visit site
I was playing to about 37 Then I handed my 3 cards in and was given 28. I am now 29.1 and picking up about 22 points on stableford. After 11 comps my best score on each of the 18 holes is 83 and my worst 18 is 143. My problem is off the tee.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My best score on my 3 cards was something like 106, and that was on forward tees and winter greens. I couldn't believe it when I was given a mark of 23.

That was 3 years ago, and I really struggled to play anywhere near it. As a result it crept up to 25.7.

The penny has finally dropped in terms of my game. I'm playing much better now. The unfortunate thing is there is only 1 comp a week open to me, which I can't always make, but I've played in the last 2 and buffered in each of them. I've also started keeping my cards from friendly games, and have scored at least 32 for 14 of the last 15, with 3 x 40 and a 42, so with a bit of luck a cut should happen soon.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Good news on your first handicap and whilst high, you can probably see good margin for progress.

I've recently started playing more than once a year which is a good start(!)

I'm now at 29.2 … with my worst score of the year 117 and best round 96

Have you seen the Golf Sidekick videos on YouTube? His breaking 100 which focuses mainly on using course management might help? I've found it useful anyway :)

BennyBoy85

Visit site
Been given my first handicap in around 12 years earlier this week. Handed in 4 cards of 100,100, 105 and 107 and came back with a handicap of 24. A bit lower than I was expecting tbh.

Only started playing regularly again this summer so hoping with a combination of plenty of rounds, work on the range and some lessons I can start to find some consistency. Played off my new handicap twice this week and came in with 24 & 26 points, so plenty of room for improvement.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was playing to about 37 Then I handed my 3 cards in and was given 28. I am now 29.1 and picking up about 22 points on stableford. After 11 comps my best score on each of the 18 holes is 83 and my worst 18 is 143. My problem is off the tee.

That is an absolutely amazing difference in scores over 11 comps - just shows how random the game is and how hard it is to give a handicap to people who don't shoot consistent scores. Plenty of encouragement though with an 83!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My best score on my 3 cards was something like 106, and that was on forward tees and winter greens. I couldn't believe it when I was given a mark of 23.

That was 3 years ago, and I really struggled to play anywhere near it. As a result it crept up to 25.7.

The penny has finally dropped in terms of my game. I'm playing much better now. The unfortunate thing is there is only 1 comp a week open to me, which I can't always make, but I've played in the last 2 and buffered in each of them. I've also started keeping my cards from friendly games, and have scored at least 32 for 14 of the last 15, with 3 x 40 and a 42, so with a bit of luck a cut should happen soon.
Why not just put in Supplementary Cards...... you can now do as many as you whant

Diamond

Visit site
That is an absolutely amazing difference in scores over 11 comps - just shows how random the game is and how hard it is to give a handicap to people who don't shoot consistent scores. Plenty of encouragement though with an 83!

aha no I knew I didn’t explain it properly. Over 10 rounds of 18 holes my best score on each hole would be 83 my worst 143. My best 18 holes in a round is 98 My worst is about 125 On my own course.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Congrats to the OP on your first handicap, you'll be wearing white trousers in no time! :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done on getting your handicap, you would be my perfect match play opponent.

You will be getting a few weird looks in your next comp if on a hole you say 'I am getting 3 shots on this' ;-)
I got a net 0 once on a hole for 6 of points, birdying a par 4 in stable ford comp. Made up for it with plenty of blobs, though ;-(

I should be a 33ish right now, but it's really hard to get down to that. Plenty of cards should help.
Not knocking you or anybody, but I must admit I think it's a bit silly that they allow handicaps over 36. Two shots a hole seems like plenty really. Especially as the consensus is to speed up play, but you'll have people putting out for 9 on a par 5 and so on. People over 36 hcap usually come down pretty quickly so I don't think it would have been a problem to make that the highest. Six points on a hole is crazy! Although I'm sure you don't see it that often.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Not knocking you or anybody, but I must admit I think it's a bit silly that they allow handicaps over 36. Two shots a hole seems like plenty really. Especially as the consensus is to speed up play, but you'll have people putting out for 9 on a par 5 and so on. People over 36 hcap usually come down pretty quickly so I don't think it would have been a problem to make that the highest. Six points on a hole is crazy! Although I'm sure you don't see it that often.
I totally agree with you. I got my handicap in winter over tough lies and mishits, short drives with no roll. And because of CSS it is actually hard to get it down at the moment. If I shot under 100 like I should do I still only get fairly little cuts.
My hope is WHS where it looks at my best rounds and itrecalculates it down to mid 30s, or hopefully high 20s at that point with some progress from now until november.

I also shot significantly better from the yellows which will start to count. Not sure if our 9 hole course is 'sloped', but if I can submit plenty of rounds from there I could get under 20 quickly, but that isn't realistic. I play much better there, especially on the greens.

TheDoctor

Club Champion
Visit site
I am currently going through a bit of a rough patch and have dropped out of single figures (currently 9.8) but the swing is starting to come round again after playing a bit more regularly again
Went from hitting a draw with all clubs to a fade, so was playing it, but recently the draw has started working its way back in, which doesn't help when you aim at the left side of a green/fairway to accommodate the fade and then hit a draw into trouble :mad:

Just because someone has a high handicap doesn't make them slow - my wife recently took up golf and is playing off 53, but we can still walk 18 in just over 3hrs with another couple (he is off 19 and his wife is off 46) and not have any issues with holding anyone up

Best stableford score I have had is 5 points when I eagled a par 5 and still had a shot on it at the time

bradleywedge

Visit site
How accurate is the golfshake handicap system? I am not affiliated to any club and just play different courses pay and play each week and upload my scores to golfshake which works out your handicap.

sunshine

Visit site

How did you do?
"9 for 1"
:ROFLMAO:

I understand that increasing handicaps up to 54 is trying to make golf more inclusive and encourage newbies. But I can't help feeling that 36 should be the cap for adults. If you need 3 shots on a hole than that hole is too difficult. Surely it is more fun to play a shorter easier course until you get to a standard where you can comfortably play a "big" course.

Unless of course the high handicap is already at a pitch and putt. :LOL:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like it or not, we have handicaps for a reason and who are we to decide who and what handicap level should be allowed in a comp?

Well done to the OP on your first hcp. Enjoy it, and watch it tumble;)

Diamond

Visit site

The Red tees should be high handicap tees. Once I break 28 off the reds then I go to the yellows. Once I break 28 off the yellows I should go to the whites. That’s my opinion.

Diamond

Visit site
The term for your best score on each hole is your "eclectic".
Just say that and everyone will know what you mean ?

My club has a hole by hole analysis so apologies. I am currently taking hybrids off the tee and the shorter the drive the more accurate I am. I parred 3 today but also 3 8’s so very up and down But 104 is the best I have done for about 10 days. It’s a tough par 69 course with a lot of trees on fairways and at the side of fairways. I overheard a mid handicapper say he can score 3 shots better anywhere else he plays locally so hopefully Within the next year I can get down to mid 20s and be a Mexican bandito in open comps.