Handicap reduction

Alextheone

Visit site
Hi, I'd appreciate any advice on lowering my handicap over the next 12 months.

My circumstances are basically that I need to be below 4 by the end of the year. I'm currently playing to 12.

My swing basics are all good and I'm receiving regular lessons, however I'd like to hear views and comments from those without bias and your personal experiences etc!

I've got no other committments apart from working on my game. I'm going to be putting in 8 hours a day on my game.

My average day would consist of range work, short game practice, proper round, work out in gym etc. Obviously I mix things up as circumstances dictate and in order to keep things fresh.

Is it realistic to knock 8-10 shots off my handicap in under 12 months? Any tips welcome.

Thanks.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Why do you need to be down to 4?

Personally, if you have natural ability and the time to practise and play then yes I think its achievable, though you may find you get to 5 or 6 and find those last few shots really difficult to drop, though it sounds as though you have all the resources you would need available.

Ive recently been reallocated a new handicap of 10 (after some time away through injury) and my aim is to get that back to cat 1 next summer and i think thats very achievable, despite having a bit less time than you

golfer79

Hacker
Visit site
It is realistic to achieve a reduction like this. I gave up golf for a period of 7 years due to work commitments. I decided to take the game back up and throughout the winter period i practised 3 hours a day. I was given my old handicap of 12.6 and got this down to 4.7 in my first season back. I have never had a golf lesson and am a firm believer if my handicap is going down then keep to the schedule I have. Remember practise isnt just slashing balls at the range have a structured pattern - 10 shots with a wedge have a target and work on a point system.
Best of luck and I hope you achieve your goal!!

Alextheone

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Why do you need to be down to 4?

Personally, if you have natural ability and the time to practise and play then yes I think its achievable, though you may find you get to 5 or 6 and find those last few shots really difficult to drop, though it sounds as though you have all the resources you would need available.

Ive recently been reallocated a new handicap of 10 (after some time away through injury) and my aim is to get that back to cat 1 next summer and i think thats very achievable, despite having a bit less time than you

Hi, thanks for the welcome and reply.

I need to be down to 4 for future career plans. I could probably extend the deadline untill early 2012 but the sooner I'm down below 4 the better!

My long term goal is scratch by summer 2012, so getting to 4 or lower by the end of 2011 is step one.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I copied this from somewhere else as I'm feeling a bit lazy... :)

1. Hit fairways, nothing blows your score up faster than O.B. or hitting into a hazard.

2. Go for the center of the green. Having to try and get up and down after missing the green going for a tucked pin adds up fast. Make enough boring 2 putt pars and your score will look pretty good.

3. If you do hit a bad shot, don't automatically go for the hero shot. Take your medicine, and limit the damage to a bogey.

4. Spend at the very least 50% of your practice time on chipping and putting.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I copied this from somewhere else as I'm feeling a bit lazy... :)

3. If you do hit a bad shot, don't automatically go for the hero shot. Take your medicine, and limit the damage to a bogey

Isn't that a true statement, taking my medicine got me from 22 to kid teens very very quickly