Handicap question

HPIMG

Visit site
I was wondering is golf the only sport in the world that has some sort of helping system for bad players ? I know that when pros play there is no handicap but why does it exist for amateurs ? I guess the obvious answer is to give everyone a chance but then why does it only exist in golf.
I don’t watch golf or know that much about all the rules so wondering if there’s something I am missing ?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a very good question. I remember playing Sunday League football for years and I don't remember ever getting a one goal headstart just because we were sh!t! :LOL:
They have handicaps in my local snooker league, possibly bowling as well, but I think handicaps are quite rare. Most sports, you either get better or you lose.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have it in horse-racing as well don't they?

It would be hard to implement a handicap system in most other sports as they tend to me you directly against another person or people, rather than you against the course, if you like. I mean how would you do it in tennis for example? Give someone a two-game head start in each set?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I was wondering is golf the only sport in the world that has some sort of helping system for bad players ? I know that when pros play there is no handicap but why does it exist for amateurs ? I guess the obvious answer is to give everyone a chance but then why does it only exist in golf.
I don’t watch golf or know that much about all the rules so wondering if there’s something I am missing ?
Ten-pin bowling uses a handicap system for all but the top or Pro's competitions, I've been playing and running leagues for over 40 years and every comp I've played in has used handicaps

HPIMG

Visit site
I guess then why not have a handicap system in pro golf ? I don’t watch golf but I’m guessing there’s loads of pros who have almost no chance of winning?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I guess then why not have a handicap system in pro golf ? I don’t watch golf but I’m guessing there’s loads of pros who have almost no chance of winning?

big difference between making a sport competitive and enjoyable for amateurs and the pinnacle of the sport to find who is the best golfer

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
They have it in horse-racing as well don't they?

It would be hard to implement a handicap system in most other sports as they tend to me you directly against another person or people, rather than you against the course, if you like. I mean how would you do it in tennis for example? Give someone a two-game head start in each set?

I guess those sports instead of a handicap system have ingrained league structures. So generally as a rugby player I will come up against similarly skilled players in my league, as the better players are playing for teams in higher leagues.

Each golf club has hundreds of members, so instead of having promotion/relegation into different leagues trying to organise it like that they have a handicap system

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There are lots of opportunities for recreational golfers to compete where handicaps don’t assist them.

Most amateur sports of course will use a league system to add parity, but golf in the main uses handicapping.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

It exists for golf as a necessary leveler because of all the money changing hands as comp fees, open fees, roll up entry fees, side bets etc

No handicap system means this'll all stop because the high guys/gals aren't gonna stump up to play in comps/events/bets against the better players and get trounced week after week (& it's not the actual trouncing that's the problem, its paying extra for the privilege)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a very good question. I remember playing Sunday League football for years and I don't remember ever getting a one goal headstart just because we were sh!t! :LOL:
They have handicaps in my local snooker league, possibly bowling as well, but I think handicaps are quite rare. Most sports, you either get better or you lose.
I was going to post about the league system in sports but @r0wly86 beat me to it. There are also different teams within a club that represent different levels. Many hockey and rugby clubs will have 3-4 teams for example and the not so good players, will play 4th team and only graduate up as they improve.

Golf is lucky in how they can do it. Much easier for a good golfer to play against an average or poor golfer than it is in say tennis, squash or badminton.

I guess those sports instead of a handicap system have ingrained league structures. So generally as a rugby player I will come up against similarly skilled players in my league, as the better players are playing for teams in higher leagues.

Each golf club has hundreds of members, so instead of having promotion/relegation into different leagues trying to organise it like that they have a handicap system

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You also gets ladders within clubs at sports like snooker, squash, tennis etc to ensure you compete against players of similar levels

D

Deleted member 1147

They just go to LIV if they can't win on the real tours ;)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm on the Golf Course 4 times a week, Bowling another day and Cricket Saturday & Sunday during the summer, on the reverse I need to stay in a bit more :) to catch up with all the stats/paperwork involved

we need to get a game in soon mate. I'll see what the ginger whinger is up to over Xmas