Handicap Index not dropping as expected?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In recent times I've had two good rounds which have caused my handicap index to drop. But it's not gone down as much as I might have expect. I'm wondering why?

Details as follows
1. HI was 19.5 (Low Handicap Index was 15.3). Score differential achieved was 6.2 better than the SD it replaced. Index dropped by only 0.2
2. HI was 19.3 (Low Handicap Index was 16.2). Score differential achieved was 4.2 better than the SD it replaced. Index dropped by only 0.1
In both cases, the 20th score which dropped out was a non-counting score

Is that to be expected? I was sort of expecting drops of about 0.7 and 0.5 (or possibly half that due the soft cap?) Am i missing something?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you should have been higher in the first place but you were capped because you can only go up so much in one year can't you? They call it soft cap or something? So now you're coming down it's just reverting back to normal? Could be talking waffle that's just a guess. 😄

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you should have been higher in the first place but you were capped because you can only go up so much in one year can't you? They call it soft cap or something? So now you're coming down it's just reverting back to normal? Could be talking waffle that's just a guess. 😄
Yep, the soft cap kicked in, so increases were only half of what they would otherwise have been. But I dont know if decreases are affected in same way. But in any case, the cuts were less than half of what 'straight maths' would suggest.

Springveldt

Visit site
Does you index match the average of the 8 counting differentials? If so, everything is working as expected.

The good rounds you had, they would have been replacing the 8th best differential, not the 20th score that was falling off. For example, the one that the differential was 6.2 better than the 20th score, how much better was the differential that the 8th best counting score? Since you got a 0.2 cut I'm guessing the 8th best counting score was only 1.6 worse than the score going on.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep, the soft cap kicked in, so increases were only half of what they would otherwise have been. But I dont know if decreases are affected in same way. But in any case, the cuts were less than half of what 'straight maths' would suggest.
Yes decreases are affected in the same way. Once your index is back within 3 of your low index then reductions will happen as normal

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
(A) Does you index match the average of the 8 counting differentials? If so, everything is working as expected.

(B) The good rounds you had, they would have been replacing the 8th best differential, not the 20th score that was falling off. For example, the one that the differential was 6.2 better than the 20th score, how much better was the differential that the 8th best counting score? Since you got a 0.2 cut I'm guessing the 8th best counting score was only 1.6 worse than the score going on.
(A) No - the average of my 8 best differential is higher than my actual index - because the soft cap has kicked in.

(B) Yes, I know. Thats why I said the new score was 'X' better than my 8th best differential. And also said that in, both cases, the 20th score dropping off the list was not relevant as in both cases it was a rubbish score.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes decreases are affected in the same way. Once your index is back within 3 of your low index then reductions will happen as normal
Ta. If decreases are affected in the same way as increases, then that might explain things. But should not the decrease be just half of the calculated value (ie same as any increases?). Mine was rather less than half. Or am I still missing something.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Does the soft cap actually limit decreases in handicap index? I read that it is meant to reduce increases, not decreases.
It's just the average of your 8 best scores, but anything over the soft cap is only counted for half as much, and once you reach the hard cap you don't go any higher.

Once you have hit the soft cap you can't just divide the reduction from your new score and dropped score by 8 because some or all of it will be half of that and some of it might or might not be a full reduction.

Isn't WHS grand?!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Does the soft cap actually limit decreases in handicap index? I read that it is meant to reduce increases, not decreases.
The soft cap does limit increases as you say. But in order to deliver a realistic index when you start to improve again, it needs to apply the same limitations on the way down, as it did when your index was rising. Otherwise your index would be artificially low.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ta. If decreases are affected in the same way as increases, then that might explain things. But should not the decrease be just half of the calculated value (ie same as any increases?). Mine was rather less than half. Or am I still missing something.
Honestly, without seeing the raw data of the actual differentials, other scores in your last 20, scores that have dropped off etc., then it's difficult to comment on what has happened.

...and that would be the DotGolf data...not stuff from the MyEG app (assuming your are in England)

wjemather

Visit site
In recent times I've had two good rounds which have caused my handicap index to drop. But it's not gone down as much as I might have expect. I'm wondering why?

Details as follows
1. HI was 19.5 (Low Handicap Index was 15.3). Score differential achieved was 6.2 better than the SD it replaced. Index dropped by only 0.2
2. HI was 19.3 (Low Handicap Index was 16.2). Score differential achieved was 4.2 better than the SD it replaced. Index dropped by only 0.1
In both cases, the 20th score which dropped out was a non-counting score

Is that to be expected? I was sort of expecting drops of about 0.7 and 0.5 (or possibly half that due the soft cap?) Am i missing something?
My guess would be that you haven't accounted for the increasing LHI (since you haven't said what it was both before and after each score was submitted).

wjemather

Visit site
Not sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?
Whenever the HI is calculated, the LHI is also calculated.
Any change in LHI will have an effect on the value of the new HI when the soft or hard cap in in effect.

For example, from a starting position of an HI 4.5 above LHI, submission of a non-counting score and and an LHI increase of 1.0, would result in an HI increase of 0.5.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whenever the HI is calculated, the LHI is also calculated.
Any change in LHI will have an effect on the value of the new HI when the soft or hard cap in in effect.

For example, from a starting position of an HI 4.5 above LHI, submission of a non-counting score and and an LHI increase of 1.0, would result in an HI increase of 0.5.
Hmmm ... I think I'll just have to take your word for it :)