Handicap from Jan 09 still active?

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys, I have recently renewed membership at my local club. Mainly due to finding employment and no longer being able to take advantage of weekday twilights as a student (£6!). Weekend golf made it logical to get a membership. Now when I was flirting with the game in the summer of 08 and beginning of 09 I wasn't very good. I'm still not mind, but I'd like to think I'm a teeny bit better than before.

Now back in Jan 09 I was issued with a 24 handicap. I have now been told that this is what I will play off from now on. I queried whether my handicap had become inactive (I have never played in a comp) but I was told in no uncertain terms that my handicap was perfectly fine.

This brings me neatly to the thinly veiled feel good story from the weekend. I don't get to post many of these, so bear with me. I had a front 9 of 42 which is okay for a 24 handicapper. It equals 24 points and I have hit 42s for 9 holes before. But what I'm most pleased about is how well I struck the ball. What let me down was my short game.

The first three holes I 3 putted. One was a medium/longish putt. But the other two were genuine birdie opportunities. Like 10ft ish. I also had to take a penalty drop on the 8th. So despite not scoring brilliantly, it was probably the best 9 holes I've ever played tee to green. (I think 7 greens in reg iirc)

Sooooo do I enter any comps or wait until my handicap gets reclassified, my issue is that it could take another 5 weeks to get my 3 cards in again if I resubmit them. Surely a handicap from a year and a half ago isn't an accurate reflection of my ability?

Cheers

PS. Sorry about general mistakes. iPhone FTW.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Firstly, if your club manage handicaps properly using approved software (can't think of any reason why this wouldn't be the case) then your handicap WILL be inactive. It's automatic, the software would do it at end of 2009.

Secondly, it is a valid handicap and if they are happy for you to carry on with it then just get on with it. Almost certainly you will not be allowed to win anything major while it is inactive and if you have improved a lot then you will shoot good scores and they will soon dock you a few shots. Don't forget it's different off the whites with a comp card in hand. Just see how you go.