handicap cut by 3 is it fair and correct

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The OP gave me permission to access his playing record.

Initial allocation revision doesn't come into it - He has been playing regularly in competitions since at least early 2012.

His 2-stroke reduction for 23 points in a 9-hole qualifier seems spot on.

I can see nothing whatsoever in his playing record which could remotely come near justifying a 3-stroke reduction, either by Annual Review or General Play.

I have advised him to have a quiet word with his Handicap Secretary for an explanation.

It has been my sad experience that the position of handicap secretary too often attracts to it the very people who should never be allowed to fill it, i.e. narcissistic meglomaniacs with delusions of omnipotence.These are the people who liveout the lack of any power they have in their own lives by imposing decisions that are often unsupported by any rules and for no other reason than they can. Decisions like this are often made based on a "nudge or a wink" or hypothesis, supposition or simple bitterness.

After you have had a quiet word with the handicap secretary I would insist on the evidence he used to justify this cut. If that evidence is insufficiently robust (and in my experience it nearly always is) I would inform him you are planning to speak to the EGU directly to raise your concerns and a possible complaint.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it normal to get such a high handicap when you first join a club?
I can regularly shoot in the middle-high 80's and when I submitted my cards for my handicap at my new club only a few months ago I got given a handicap of 26. Albeit I was nervous and I didn't play particularly well but now I've got a few meets and comps coming up I have this feeling at the front of my mind that my handicap is not true to me as a golfer. My swing, ball striking and putting doesn't look like a guy who has a handicap of 26. It makes me feel more conscious the more I play and almost makes me not want to go to meets or comps until it comes down to the teens where I know it can be....
Do i just submit the cards at the club as I play and slowly but surely knock the numbers off??

There are two things you can do if you are sure that you would do embarrassingly well playing off 26. There is nothing to stop you entering a competition and putting a handicap lower than 26 on the scorecard - that would make it more difficult for you to win. You could also set out to submit as many Supplementaries as are allowed - 10 per year, normally no more than one per week.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It has been my sad experience that the position of handicap secretary too often attracts to it the very people who should never be allowed to fill it, i.e. narcissistic meglomaniacs with delusions of omnipotence.These are the people who liveout the lack of any power they have in their own lives by imposing decisions that are often unsupported by any rules and for no other reason than they can. Decisions like this are often made based on a "nudge or a wink" or hypothesis, supposition or simple bitterness.

After you have had a quiet word with the handicap secretary I would insist on the evidence he used to justify this cut. If that evidence is insufficiently robust (and in my experience it nearly always is) I would inform him you are planning to speak to the EGU directly to raise your concerns and a possible complaint.

What a load of codswallop!
So why don't you stand for committee and sort it out.

It is my sad experience with golf club members that 'empty vessels make the most noise.'
As I said earlier, golfers who complain about handicap cuts set my nose twitching.

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It is my sad experience with golf club members that 'empty vessels make the most noise.'
As I said earlier, golfers who complain about handicap cuts set my nose twitching.

Codswallop lol I havent heard that since primary school
Because I am not retired, a member of the dodgy handshake brigade and do not fit the job spec as described in my post
No idea what your talking about because I did go the EGU and did overturn an unjust handicap cut
Sorry you dont like golfers who complain of handicap cuts, because mine has been cut (based on competition play). I wont accept being "stitched up" so keep your nose twitching because frankly my dear, I dont give a damn!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Codswallop lol I havent heard that since primary school
Because I am not retired, a member of the dodgy handshake brigade and do not fit the job spec as described in my post
No idea what your talking about because I did go the EGU and did overturn an unjust handicap cut
Sorry you dont like golfers who complain of handicap cuts, because mine has been cut (based on competition play). I wont accept being "stitched up" so keep your nose twitching because frankly my dear, I dont give a damn!

Goodness it's dodgy handshake now. I did not think they went in for that sort of thing in Worcs.

Perhaps you can share with us your reasons for protecting your handicap so strongly?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why should they need to!

Not being of a mind, or in a position, or prepared to do the job does not mean that you are prepared to accept the incompetence of those that are!

But there are certainly cases at either end of the scale, and I'd normally be inclined to favour the H/Sec. But this case seems peculiar.

Btw. Codswallop is a great word! Seem to remember using it quite recently!:whistle:

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Goodness it's dodgy handshake now. I did not think they went in for that sort of thing in Worcs.

Perhaps you can share with us your reasons for protecting your handicap so strongly?

You would be surprised what we go in for around here...;)

Perhaps you can share how you have deduced I am protecting my handicap?

mike912

Medal Winner
Visit site

I wasnt complaining I was asking was it fair I still think its a little harsh