Handicap Changes

Beechwood1952

Visit site
Is there a confirmed date in 2020 for the changes?
If the double bogey rule stays for Handicaps then how can a Handicap of 54 be achieved? 18 holes x Double Bogey each hole = 36.
Apologies is these have been asked before.
Cheers

Siolag

Visit site
If the double bogey rule stays for Handicaps then how can a Handicap of 54 be achieved? 18 holes x Double Bogey each hole = 36.
Cheers

Its not double bogey for the allocation of handicaps, only for changes to handicaps. For the allocation its triple bogey.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers

It is double the par now plus the application of a formula.

No confirmed date for WHS but probably Autumn 2020

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers

The nett double bogey rule is still there for players who already have a handicap and player can go over 36 by the application of 0.1 increases and handicap reviews.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
England Golf is suggesting Nov 2020 for CONGU. Other countries will implement possibly dependent on the start/finish of their playing season and when they are ready with the software and their IT infrastructure.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Has anyone ever actually seen anyone with an official handicap of 54?? Maybe it isn't possible?
No & I hope i dont meet anybody with a handicap of 54. 28 should be the absolute maximum, anything more than that is taking the biscuit, should be on the practice tee not the golf course

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No & I hope i dont meet anybody with a handicap of 54. 28 should be the absolute maximum, anything more than that is taking the biscuit, should be on the practice tee not the golf course
When they put it up I actually felt that 36 should be the maximum, since that is 2 shots per hole which makes sense to me. Getting 3 shots on a hole is pretty ridiculous. Imagine playing a short par 5 in 9 shots and getting a point, I wouldn't really feel comfortable with that if it was me. I never understood why 28 was the maximum, it seemed an odd figure to use. I figured standard course par of 72 + 28 makes 100, but then the majority of courses I play only have pars of 68-70 so it didn't really work on that basis.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
36 seems to be a good maximum to me but apparently we do have a 47 (!) handicapper at the club.

As far as I'm aware most of our comps are limited to 36 (IE if you're over that you have to play off 36 anyway) but I could be wrong.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst playing yesterday with our h/cap sec I asked about the high h/cap players at our club as one of our group was off 33 the reply I got was that at the club we actually have a chap on a h/cap of 54.
He isn't allowed to enter comps though as he really is hopeless.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a 53 handicap player at our course, it's no problem and we try and encourage him to play and have introduced max score comps to help. Our county and several clubs have introduced high handicap qualifying comps for those over 28. It's about getting people to play, not excluding them from playing.
Strange attitude people have.

Visit site
We extended the handicap allowance at our Golf Society from 28 to 36 a few years ago, and this was to encourage people to play, as you can imagine many of our players are of the retirement age.
I said it would be nice if these people look for their names on the result sheet and at least see their name half way up the sheet. As it happens one guy has one a few qualifiers and has come down to h/c 32, and another new guy
who has just taken up the game (10 months ago) has dropped to h/c 30.5. I know that the present committee have no thoughts of extending the h/c any higher, but I am all for encouraging people to play the game, regardless of their age.

as for limiting the h/c you can play in competitions, I remember playing with my old pairs partner when I lived in England and we won our only "Foursome" competition, which meant the club would enter us into the Daily Mail "Foursome" competition, but unfortunately my h/c at the time was 23, so I had to play of a h/c18. We done well for about 7 holes but ended up getting beat 4&3 against a couple of guys who were single figure handicaps, so we though we done quite well.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As far as I'm aware most of our comps are limited to 36 (IE if you're over that you have to play off 36 anyway) but I could be wrong.
A limit may be made a) for exclusion or b) for prize purposes. If the latter, the true handicap must be used for handicap calculation and adjustment purposes.

Members’ of a golf club should have a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with each other, including participating in Qualifying Competitions. Peer review is an essential component of the UHS.
A Member must have the opportunity to compete in a reasonable number of Qualifying Competitions in a calendar year and to submit Qualifying Scores in accordance with Clause 21.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone ever actually seen anyone with an official handicap of 54?? Maybe it isn't possible?

We had 5 at the start of the season following a novices recruitment drive late last summer. Lowest of that group now down at 47 and really enjoying playing and trying to get better.